• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

What software do you use regularly?

It may not be SWR problems per se, but when I apply lotsa watts, the devices tend to un plug and play themselves with the characteristic "ba donk" on the speakers as the disconnect is made.

SWR will aggravate common mode currents, but a good shunt system will greatly minimize their influence.

All of my coax runs have their shields grounded at the tower where they pass through a grounded bulkhead buss bar. Then before they come into the shack there is another buss bar where the PolyPhasers are mounted. The shack buss bar goes to that buss bar and the ground systems of the shack and tower are connected to each other as well as the AC entrance ground is connected to the shack system (per NFPA NEC).

Since doing all of that, such issues as losing USB connections have all but disappeared. It's an art as much as a technical process.

Reactions: ButtFuzz
I like dx summit for a cluster. I also frequent the mountain lake k12 site for close to "real time" changes in vhf-uhf band enhancement and the Hepburn site for long range forecasts. As for logging I'm still an old school pen and paper guy..

Reactions: Captain Kilowatt
Care to explain just how it should come in handy for exposing golden screwdrivers?
By displaying feeble frequency response in the audio Spectrum. Golden screwdrivers can only follow a service manual and make basic adjustments. Tailoring audio to a specific repeatable curve is beyond their capabilities.

Last edited:
By displaying feeble frequency response in the audio Spectrum. Golden screwdrivers can only follow a service manual and make basic adjustments. Tailoring audio to a specific repeatable curve is beyond their capabilities.
Display what exactly? What do you consider "feeble"? Display he transmitted audio of a remote station? Audio spectrum of what ? The receiver you are listening to? Its speaker? How about the microphone in the phone? Which is it and how do you tell?
Golden screwdrivers can only follow a service manual and make basic adjustments.
Follow a service manual ? Just what are "basic adjustments ?
Tailoring audio to a specific repeatable curve is beyond their capabilities.
Tailoring audio to a specific repeatable curve? I don't even know what you are attempting to say let alone mean. Taylor what ? What curve? Frequency response curve as in microphone response db/Hz ? Audio circuit db/Hz @ some 10% THD or more ? Basic adjustments, like its child's play placing carrier oscillator frequencies equidistant from the filter center. Basic like trying to get 10 pounds of shit out of a 5 pound box and make the world believe it swings to some unheard of wattage (PEP of course).. This isn't and never has been rocket surgery but it always has been brain science.
I don't know what you are attempting to feed the masses but I'm not even sniffing it let alone slurping it up and washing it down with the Kool-Aid.
Can I recommend that cease talking about things you admit to knowing nothing about and talk about something you do know something about ?

Reactions: rabbiporkchop
Display what exactly? What do you consider "feeble"? Display he transmitted audio of a remote station? Audio spectrum of what ? The receiver you are listening to? Its speaker? How about the microphone in the phone? Which is it and how do you tell?

Follow a service manual ? Just what are "basic adjustments ?

Tailoring audio to a specific repeatable curve? I don't even know what you are attempting to say let alone mean. Taylor what ? What curve? Frequency response curve as in microphone response db/Hz ? Audio circuit db/Hz @ some 10% THD or more ? Basic adjustments, like its child's play placing carrier oscillator frequencies equidistant from the filter center. Basic like trying to get 10 pounds of shit out of a 5 pound box and make the world believe it swings to some unheard of wattage (PEP of course).. This isn't and never has been rocket surgery but it always has been brain science.
I don't know what you are attempting to feed the masses but I'm not even sniffing it let alone slurping it up and washing it down with the Kool-Aid.
Can I recommend that cease talking about things you admit to knowing nothing about and talk about something you do know something about ?
Here's an interesting article on intelligibility that might educate you.
One interesting thing to note, is that if speech recognition software is unable to recognize the words you are speaking in an audio file, then obviously there is a problem. It might be entertaining for you to check out that spectral analysis video and turn on the closed captioning or subtitles and let the speech recognition software do its thing. It's quite amusing actually.
http://www.dpamicrophones.com/mic-university/facts-about-speech-intelligibility
Facts-about-speech-intelligibility-Microphone-University-DPA-Microphones-05.png

Just for the record, all of my recordings are line level recordings and accurately reproduce the sound over the airwaves coming through my receiver and if one has higher frequency response it clearly shows in my recording and if one fails to have similar frequency response it is blatantly obvious at looking at the difference with the spectral analysis of the audio file so it's purely scientific. My speaker is never part of the equation.

Last edited:
Exactly what the fuck does the above have to do with radio related software applications?....

EXACTLY! The next thing he will try to explain to us mere peons is that software receiving a 2 K signal to copy A1A emissions is better than my ears......... NOT!!!

reproduce the sound over the airwaves coming through my receiver
Accurately ?
You still don't get it. The application for your phone is no more than an audio time domain toy.
A radio under test is sampled through known calibrated attenuators without the airwaves or your receiver added to the result.
The question was "
"What software do you use regularly?"
*NIX
OS: Linux 3.13.0-37-generic/i686 - Distro: Linux Mint 17.1 Rebecca - CPU: 2 x Intel Core Duo (1667.000 MHz) - Processes: 186 - Uptime: 99d 19h 21m - Users: 4 - Load Average: 0.92 - Memory Usage: 2724.64MB/3273.84MB (83.22%) - Disk Usage: 59.17GB/71.63GB (82.60%)
OS: Linux 3.2.0-5-amd64/x86_64 - Distro: Debian 7.11 - CPU: 8 x Intel Xeon (3000.000 MHz) - Processes: 216 - Uptime: 9d 21m - Users: 6 - Load Average: 0.02 - Memory Usage: 1919.37MB/32247.33MB (5.95%) - Disk Usage: 1670.93GB/2783.91GB (60.02%)
Solaris when I need a solution in search of a problem.
NetBSD for the odd appliance or archaic architecture.
OpenBSdD for security.
FreeBSD for speed
AIX for some databases
Other than operating systems.
Virtual Box
DIANA FEA
MatLab
Catia
Autodesk suite
Rhino
Libre Office
MS-Office (in VM)
Radio Mobile http://www.ve2dbe.com/rmonline.html
RPVM and PVM for virtual machine Beowulf cluster management. (Some of my processing power is located off site and on multiple shared shared hardware platforms)
That's just the surface. The rest belongs to the individual licensees.

Accurately ?
You still don't get it. The application for your phone is no more than an audio time domain toy.
A radio under test is sampled through known calibrated attenuators without the airwaves or your receiver added to the result.
The question was "
"What software do you use regularly?"
*NIX
OS: Linux 3.13.0-37-generic/i686 - Distro: Linux Mint 17.1 Rebecca - CPU: 2 x Intel Core Duo (1667.000 MHz) - Processes: 186 - Uptime: 99d 19h 21m - Users: 4 - Load Average: 0.92 - Memory Usage: 2724.64MB/3273.84MB (83.22%) - Disk Usage: 59.17GB/71.63GB (82.60%)
OS: Linux 3.2.0-5-amd64/x86_64 - Distro: Debian 7.11 - CPU: 8 x Intel Xeon (3000.000 MHz) - Processes: 216 - Uptime: 9d 21m - Users: 6 - Load Average: 0.02 - Memory Usage: 1919.37MB/32247.33MB (5.95%) - Disk Usage: 1670.93GB/2783.91GB (60.02%)
Solaris when I need a solution in search of a problem.
NetBSD for the odd appliance or archaic architecture.
OpenBSdD for security.
FreeBSD for speed
AIX for some databases
Other than operating systems.
Virtual Box
DIANA FEA
MatLab
Catia
Autodesk suite
Rhino
Libre Office
MS-Office (in VM)
Radio Mobile http://www.ve2dbe.com/rmonline.html
RPVM and PVM for virtual machine Beowulf cluster management. (Some of my processing power is located off site and on multiple shared shared hardware platforms)
That's just the surface. The rest belongs to the individual licensees.
At what Frequency does the letter K and the letter G occur?

Exactly what the fuck does the above have to do with radio related software applications?

And oh - "sibilance" just for the sake of adding more useless references to software.
Differentiating between the letter "K" and the letter "g" or "th" and "f" at a great distance. Maximizing intelligibility without compromising efficiency should always be the name of the game if you're going to take people's money and charge them for your services. Technicians with Integrity anyway.
Last I checked intelligibility wasn't useless when trying to communicate.

Last edited:

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.