• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

What tuner do you use for legal limit power?

'Dentron MT-3000A'. Not as expensive as some, will match almost anything I'm likely to try to use as an antenna, rated for around 1500 watts (3000 Pep). It uses 'taps' instead of a roller-inductor. No huge benefit in that but also won't arc across the roller. I've used probably one of almost all manual tuners at one time or another (except for the really expensive ones, or course). The 'Dentron' is more my style than other ones. As in it can take a bit more abuse, etc. As in trying some really dumb things for antennas? 'Sides, I like it. - 'Doc

I'm currently using an Ameritron ATR-30. What do others use and why?

Some have had trouble with the roller inductor on that unit, and other MFJ tuners.

Among the best tuners are from Palstar, such as the AT1K or AT1500CV. These units have had the least trouble.

All roller inductors can have issues with lubricant like grease build-up, and also this lubricant can absorb power on 10 meters and start smoking. Often these tuners will work on six meters, but probably only safe to 100 watts or so. Some of the MFJ/ameritron units have had quality issues.

LDG AT-1000. Works great! I have a 40m Horizontal Delta loop and it will tune up HF everything except 160m. I guess its just not long enough to get 160m to match up. One button tune up with 200 memories. I like it so far. You have to get used to the noise it makes when it tunes in a new freq for the first time but other than that it is workin for me.

73's

Wayne C.

Let me add one twist: I asked about legal limit, but I'm really interested in options for at least 2KW, preferably up to 3KW to give some "breathing" room. The "legal limit" in the U.S. really only applies to the ham bands, but those of us that use other services (or live in Canada) have much higher power limit levels to consider.

One of the foibles of commercially made tuners in the US is that they are usually rated in 'Pep' rather than average power. So, look for the CW power rating, which will give you a 'real' value to expect or just remember that things are in 'Pep'. {Why is that so? 'Cuz of the advertising of 'bigger' numbers means bigger sales.} If you really want a 3KW tuner start looking for one rated for about 6-7KW unless the rating is for CW. From what I've seen recently, you won't find one made commercially for the 'amateur' market. Start looking for parts to build one... - 'Doc

I run an AT1KM Palstar, however not full legal limit.

From my elmers, if you truly run legal limit, look at the roller inductor tuners rated at 3kW. Though mine is rated at 1200W, it's not really the truth, it's really for a 3-600W range amp like an 811H.

Also for full legal limit, actually any tuner, run cleaner through them to prevent arcing. If you have pets, smoke, etc, check them out and clean them up two or three times a year to keep things happy inside. Not cleaning tuners is the primary cause of arcing over and generally blowing them up.

I have been trying to decide what to do with these. Should I put them into my converted broadcast transmitter for 80m or build a tuner. It should be good for my Canadian legal limit. LOL The coil is from a broadcast site ATU hut and the caps are Jennings vacuum variables rated for 10,000 volts each. The ruler is a foot long BTW.

http://img246.imageshack.us/my.php?image=patuningsmallju6.jpg

I have been trying to decide what to do with these. Should I put them into my converted broadcast transmitter for 80m or build a tuner

I think you should just carefully pack them up and ship them to me so you do not have to stress out on what to do with them!
See how easy that is? :drool: (y) :p :LOL: :blush: :love: :blink: :w00t: (y)

Jeff

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.