• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

What's going on?

Spacecadetje

Jan 17, 2018
I have a General AP Hill radio that is about 18 years old. Recently when someone near me keys up my meter needle is buried to the right and I can't hear them until I key my mic and "reset" it. I've had it happen while turing down the recieve gain too. It has only been happening for a couple weeks. It happens with a magnet mounted generic whip antenna and with a 3' firestick and 18' of cable. Anyone heard of the before? It's installed in a 2014 Volvo.... Thanks in advance for any help.

You must be very close to the other transmitter. Try turning down your RF gain.
You might also have a bad pot on your rf gain.

You must be very close to the other transmitter. Try turning down your RF gain.
You might also have a bad pot on your rf gain.
Thats the thing, I never had problems until about 2 weeks ago..... I'll flip the switch to low and try that. Thanks

Sounds like someone with a fair amount of power is keying up very close to you. Usually happens in a truck stop when a driver thinks he needs 500 watts to talk to the truck 80 feet from him. If your in the truck next to his mirror to mirror your receive is getting hammered.

Reactions: binrat
Sounds like someone with a fair amount of power is keying up very close to you. Usually happens in a truck stop when a driver thinks he needs 500 watts to talk to the truck 80 feet from him. If your in the truck next to his mirror to mirror your receive is getting hammered.
Yeah but it never happened until about 2 weeks ago. Nothings changed with my set up. Could it be the radio is old and crapping out?

Almost sounds like the receive is going into oscillation. But I really don't know if that's even possible.
Yes it is. Any electronic device that is setup to amplify signals can go into oscillation.
You have heard the feed back squeal from a Public Address system? That is an oscillation because the audio from the speaker is getting amplified. It is a feedback loop.

Reactions: Shadetree Mechanic
try with the coax off it next time he's on.
dont key up for more than 1 second.
maybe he popped the detection diodes?
If the antenna is disconnected DO NOT key up the transmitter!
It might be the AGC diodes which provide feed back to the receiver amplifier stages.
Feed back can be either positive or negative, AGC is a negative feed back.

Last edited:

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?