• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Whats the verdict on the Magnum 1?

a guy has one about 30 miles from me, he is on every day with it and it sounds good , plenty of audio with the stock mic, and is dead on frequency

I talked to a fella that had one on 10 meters, and he sounded very good. No drift, audio was great.

Brett

the guy here had a couple different mics wired for his and the factory mic sounded best on all modes,, pretty sure the factory mic is a Electret condenser microphone

Reactions: LeapFrog
I will admit the guy here does sound good, and I don't think you will be disappointed at all with the radio, but for the same $300 price range you can get a nice used hf radio, I just got a perfect working kenwood ts50 for $300 shipped, and I see alinco dx-70's for the same used price at hamfests and other sites. I don't want to turn your post into a export radio vs hf rigs but just an option that gives way more radio for the $$,

as far as export radios the magnum 1 probly is the best / solid performer now that the Optima is no longer in production

Last edited:
I think I will order a Magnum and see what happens. I'm just glad it is significantly less expensive than the 955hp, which is my favorite of radios Ive owned. Ive checked bobs, bells, clays and lescomm. Who am I forgetting?

Haven't used one myself but performance should be similar to all the Maxlog radios and your existing Stryker with probably similar noise in the receive etc. I know they did some additional engineering to try make it different than all the similar clones coming out of Asia but overall I'm guessing it will fall into the same range for performance.

I just wouldn't pay $299 for a new radio in that category though. I'd rather pick up a used 2950DX for $150-200. I just don't think any of these newer radios are worth the asking price when there are so many solid used radios on the market. I think what Camaro was saying is spot on. I bought some 718's, TS-50, and similar entry level ham radios for $350-400 and their receive is just so much better than most of these recent clones.

I saw that President is releasing a new CB only SSB model (McKinley II) for $299 (yikes) so maybe I'm just out of touch with today's pricing :)

Reactions: rabbiporkchop

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated