• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Whats the verdict on the Magnum 1?

They are most likely very close in performance, maybe one has more power than the other. But both radios are what they are, the basic same chassis as most other new export radios being sold today.
If you want a good AM radio get a cobra 29 or something like that. You want a good SSB radio, spend a few more bucks and get an HF radio. The exports are nice, but there comes at time when you realize there are much better radios to be had for not much more and heck some even cheaper when bought used. I am sure the magnum 1 will sound good on both AM and SSB. If you want more power, have a good amp built. For what it's worth, by the time you have bought 3-4 new export radios. You could have bought a pretty nice HF radio used or even new. Wouldn't surprise me at all!! Been there and done that. There are a couple of exports radios I would recommend, I think that the are a few left that were found in a forgotten box, from the dealer. Yeticomm LTD, he is a member and should be able to tell you if he has any I believe. I could be wrong, but I think there are some left. None being made like I said, just some found. The optima MK3 is that radio. The other would be an uniden 980. That is about it. JMHO. But even the optima mk3 isn't like some of the other exports as far as loud audio. It's almost an SSB radio as well. But set it right and it will work on AM. I'll leave it at that. Check out the ad below. I just looked this up, so it should be current I would think. Have a good one and good luck with whatever you choose.

Attachments

• IMG_5664.PNG
    IMG_5664.PNG
    349.9 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_5663.PNG
    IMG_5663.PNG
    307.9 KB · Views: 13
Reactions: 338_MtRushmore
They are most likely very close in performance, maybe one has more power than the other. But both radios are what they are, the basic same chassis as most other new export radios being sold today.
If you want a good AM radio get a cobra 29 or something like that. You want a good SSB radio, spend a few more bucks and get an HF radio. The exports are nice, but there comes at time when you realize there are much better radios to be had for not much more and heck some even cheaper when bought used. I am sure the magnum 1 will sound good on both AM and SSB. If you want more power, have a good amp built. For what it's worth, by the time you have bought 3-4 new export radios. You could have bought a pretty nice HF radio used or even new. Wouldn't surprise me at all!! Been there and done that. There are a couple of exports radios I would recommend, I think that the are a few left that were found in a forgotten box, from the dealer. Yeticomm LTD, he is a member and should be able to tell you if he has any I believe. I could be wrong, but I think there are some left. None being made like I said, just some found. The optima MK3 is that radio. The other would be an uniden 980. That is about it. JMHO. But even the optima mk3 isn't like some of the other exports as far as loud audio. It's almost an SSB radio as well. But set it right and it will work on AM. I'll leave it at that. Check out the ad below. I just looked this up, so it should be current I would think. Have a good one and good luck with whatever you choose.

I completely understand where you are coming from, and can't argue with your logic. Unfortunately I have no need or want for an HF rig. I have had zero issues with the SSB performance on my optima, or the 2950dx and 955hp I had before. My issue is that I need good AM, and my current optima is the worst of the lot. The 2950 did pretty well on am, but the radio is really difficult to operate in the dark mobile. The 955 sounded great on AM and SSB, and was lit up so it could actually be used mobile. Unfortunatly the 955 had swr problems, along with hardware issues. I didnt want to send it back to stryker again, so I sold it. I guess I just expect too much

Reactions: 22racer
Why not a Galaxy 959. I know they sound good on AM and can be used for sideband, although I hear they drift a bit. Thinking about getting one myself. My boss just gave me a Freightliner Coronado and my Magnum S45HP won't fit in the cubby hole. Or I just may use my old Uniden Grant with a RM Italy 203 and see how it does.

I would pick the grant over the galaxy any day. I had a 979 for a while and it was good enough to get me into sideband, but doesn't do very well.

I have also come to enjoy 27.415 to 27.455 much more than the cb channels. Much more pleasant and helpful up there, and no cussing and fighting. I'm not sure if its worth adding a frequency board to a grant, and I'd never waste the money on a galaxy.

Last edited:
I've owned just about all of the anytones, maxlogs, and CRE 8900 and none of them are going to give you a big AM sound. I had two of the new president lincolns and with a d104 AM is pretty good but my Stryker 955 beat all the other clones for AM even though I liked it the least of the bunch.

Older radios - 99V, S9, Omegaforce, etc. - loud on AM and on SSB - would peak about 30-35 watts. Large chassis, hole mount parts, easy to adjust, physical switches, drift on SSB.

Newer radios - Maxlog, Anytone, etc. - peak from 40-50w - minimal drift on SSB - lots of menu options, clean audio, more sensitive but noiser receivers, not loud on AM, pretty good and punchy on SSB.

If I could find a mint Magnum S9 (1969) in box I might pull the trigger again even though I hated the drift when I owned one - it just sounded so good and loud on AM and SSB. Of course that S9 was pleasing to my "CB" audio ear which is different than my "ham" audio ear. Ahhhh... radio audio...you strange and mysterious beast.

Reactions: 338_MtRushmore
dont get me wrong but ...
a optima like any anyclone (anytone.cre8900/lincoln II etc etc etc blah) can be turned up on AM mod to have picket fence audio you guys all seem to love on AM

no different to any other brand of radio mentioned

every single silly "swing mod" you can do to a cb radio can be done to a anyclone or similar radio ...reason why most have not tried is they are scared of smt i think
it can be done and HAS been done .

Thanks everyone for the your input. I think I might hold off on a new radio and play with a 29 and optima driving an amp. I really need to send some stuff off for repair anyways, so I guess I will spend money on that for now

Does the S9 drift as bad as the Galaxy's do? It's looking like I may just try my luck with another 955hp

The S9 was ok when warmed up but it drifted similar to my Galaxy 77 and 99, maybe a tad better. The newer clone radios are way better for SSB stability. The older radios were just easier to make "CB Loud" with a simple twist of a pot. :)

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated