• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

What's this old K40 worth?

Yapper

Dec 29, 2016
Hi All.

I have a K40 with a mag mount that's at least 30 years old. I just replaced the 57 inch whip with a new one because I couldn't find the old one after 3 long distance moves. I should have just sold that without the whip as is (easier to ship) but I wanted to fiddle around with an old radio.

The place that sold me the whip said a new K40 with mag mount would cost close to $150. I did some searching and the best I can tell it's less than that and the mag mount sold today looks different.

I was surprised there were no craigslist ads anywhere near me and I don't want to have to ship this with that big whip. What's this thing worth?

Thanks!

Gave the last two K40 antennas I had to a local operator - for free.
NOT the best antenna ever made. Has a tendency to pop the ceramic capacitor inside - seen that happen twice. Never own/use one again. Lot better antennas available than that thing.

If you get $25-35; be satisfied. Guy that sold you the whip was just blowing smoke - he has no clue except to sell you something - IMO . . .

You can buy a Sirio 5000 Performer w/mag mount for about $85, and that is the best mag mount antenna on the market - bar none IMO. That would easily smoke a K40! So would a Wilson 1000/5000.

Last edited:
The auction still has an hour left but I put it on Ebay for a local pickup only sale, never expecting to get even a look, and it sold for $70.

Then sell it on eBay if you want top $$ from someone who doesn't have much of a clue.

Look, it isn't a bad antenna, just not that good is all.
One can do much better depending on what they can afford. Antennas have gotten better since the days that the K40 were first engineered and marketed.

Last edited:
Hey guys, I'm not a fan of nor am I defending the K40, I'm just trying to sell it. I believe you that it isn't the greatest !!

3rd time in 20 years I had to replace the coax assembly. What a piece of crap at $20 a pop. Just last week the plastic that supports the locking lugs cracked from the cold I guess, so the antenna and coil were wobbling around.

30 years ago I ran this antenna with a 100w box. No problem. Worked fine, Then I got a 250w amp. Popped the ceramic cap inside the base. Split it right down the middle. Threw the SWR off the scale, until I replaced that cap. Did it again. Same hing happened.

Receive? OK. My 4 ft SilverLoad did as well - if not better. Transmit? Again the SilverLoad was better.

Reactions: Groundhog KSS-2012

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.