• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

which version do you think is the best grant?

space cowboy

Quack Quack
Oct 16, 2012
Michigan
I've had a 4 pin mic 4 button president, a 5 pin mic 4 button uniden and a grant xl. I don't remember much difference between the first two, they were reliable with good to great reports. nice radios, but I would have really preferred black radios.
I did not care for the xl. while it talked well, the receive was poor, and it the receive audio sound was about as good as the receive. it was looked at by 3 techs with no improvement. sold it to a friend of mine to give to an ex girlfriend that wanted to get back on the radio. never liked her much.:whistle:
any experience with the upd858 version? I don't even know if I've ever even heard one of these talking much less seen one. safe to assume it would be equivalent to my upd858 madison?

858 chassis are fantastic chassis, both for transmit and receive. as long as it is not screwdriver to death trying to squeeze every last watt out of the transmit side.

TRC 458/457 Cobra 139 XLR Madisons and some old Uniden Washingtons are just a few that use the 858 chassis.
Exit Thirteen has an old Madison he has done some extensive mods on and knows that chassis inside and out.
Unit 399 also mentions the 858 chassis in some of his posts also.

Perhaps they will contribute to the thread.

The Madison I have the the early generation double conversion MB8719 chassis that's found in the 148/2000/4 button, 5 pin President Grant.

The original 3 button, 4 pin President Grant has the same D858 SSB chassis as the President Madison, President Washington, Realistic Navaho TRC-457/458, and the Cobra 139XLR.

Both chassis have fantastic TX/RX. Couldn't go wrong with either one! :)

~Cheers~

Uniden_Grant.jpg

Always liked my "old" grant!

Reactions: n0zna and Grogan
and slowly getting rid of that nasty silver paint too I see. nice. looks like you need to work a bit on removing the chrome too w9cll.
I'm keeping an eye on craigslist hoping to come across a decent deal on an old beater rig. then I'm going to paint the thing black! my dad has a label maker I can use for the face markings so I know that will turn out decent looking.
maybe get real creative and remove the mod and nbl switches (unidens) for room to put a meter I can actually see while driving. I really like the meters on the Uniden PC787 rigs.

If it has to be a FCC approved CB then the Uniden Grant XL's of the 1990's are hard to beat. Actually if the above is true the 1990's Uniden Grant XL's are unbeatable!!!

If you want to free band the export President Grant's are hard to beat. Completely different radio but very good.

sitting duck, is the black one an export grant?

Sorry cowboy but not for sale, can't get another in the same condition.
to that I must agree with Spock

to not play with it would be...illogical.

If it has to be a FCC approved CB then the Uniden Grant XL's of the 1990's are hard to beat. Actually if the above is true the 1990's Uniden Grant XL's are unbeatable!!!
have you compared the XL's to the previous versions? as I mentioned I was disappointed in the one I've tried, but I don't know if they're all like that.

Last edited:

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated