• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

why don't they make HTs that can do SSB?

The ELECRAFT KX3 nice looking little radio. I see its supposed to come out during the 4th quarter of this year. I haven't seen any price information on it however. Any ideas what the price ranges will be?

I'm sitting here looking at my Android phone and as I am I'm thinking that there's really no reason that we don't have incredible full-featured multimode handheld radios other than supply and demand.

Sure, you now have complete radio on chip, such as freescale MC13260.
But you're never going to shrink an antenna for HF bands and still have it efficient.

The RF chip in smartphones operate on UHF, where antennas are small.
The bandwidth of signal is relatively wide, so not as much concern for frequency drift as you would need if you were running SSB.
SSB makes the most demanding application for frequency stability of crystal oscillators. Those crystals are physically large and suck power.

You'd still need some sort of external antenna.. for VHF and up you'd just need a rubber duck, but for HF you'd need something real, like a G5RV, Dipole, screwdriver, or whatever field gear a typical ham has. The same applies to the 817 too. There's no reason why we can't have SSB/CW/AM/FM/DIGITAL in a similar package as a smartphone. With software-defined radio technology the feature set could be very impressive in a tiny package. It might have to be slightly larger than a smartphone, sure, but not by much. I like the Elecraft above.. it's pretty small, but it would be awesome with a touch display instead of all the knobs. With the processing power afforded by smartphone processors advanced features like detailed spectrum anaysis, antenna analysis, filtering, DSP can all be software emulated.

6 meters -- are contacts usually on SSB or FM? The VX-8R only supports FM 6M, correct? Is this one reason I am unable to make 6 meter contacts? I've had the VX-8R for a couple of years now and have yet to make a single contact.

6 meters -- are contacts usually on SSB or FM? The VX-8R only supports FM 6M, correct? Is this one reason I am unable to make 6 meter contacts? I've had the VX-8R for a couple of years now and have yet to make a single contact.

Pretty much all DX contacts on 6m are indeed on SSB however when the band opens you can also hear repeaters from hundreds of miles away, even half way across the country. Using an HT however your best bet would be to see if your local repeaters are picking up any DX and respond that way although it is possible to hit a far off repeater from an HT. The big problem is that the antennas on 6m HT's are very poor performers on that band.

You can try and listen to 52.525 FM simplex with that VX8, you may hear some FM stations, I have made contacts there. I think people forget FM for 6 meter contacts. What you have to understand, when 6 meter is open, it does not matter what mode, antenna polarity is somewhat important though.

SSB is usually horizontal while FM is vertical.

If you make yourself a vertical 6 meter external antenna you may have more luck. Now when I made FM contacts on 6 meter I was using my 817ND and an Outbacker antenna. Give it a try

Last edited by a moderator:
The Elecraft KX3 nice looking little radio. I see its supposed to come out during the 4th quarter of this year. I haven't seen any price information on it however. Any ideas what the price ranges will be?

About $800 stripped down...close to $1500 with the 100 watt PA and other options.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?