• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

WICKED TUNA

doctor

Supporting Member
Aug 1, 2006
indiana
For nothing on tv, I watched a few episodes of WICKED TUNA, enough of tuna fishing.
What caught my eye were the boat captains talking to each other, they were using 2 meters 145.00 for communications, sad state of affairs.

doctor 795

Maybe they are licensed?

It wouldn't matter. Amateur radio is not to be used for business operations. Besides that they don't use callsigns. Sadly this is happening more and more these days. I remember back thirty or more years ago off-shore fishermen were (and still are) using the 80m band to chat. they are not hard to pick out since they are on USB. Marine HF radios do not normally operate in LSB mode. Perhaps the OP should record an episode showing that and submit a complaint to the FCC and see what happens.

Reactions: BenMara and 2FB327
You can see the Mexican cartel on TV with their radios. I wonder if it's like a driver license, they all have the same info just different photos.

Mexican gov't won't do a thing; their states have greater power than their central gov't does. The only way they would bother to do anything about it is if they were pushed into it by our gov't. Have to be something far more serious than these claims before our gov't makes any threats for economic sanctions. But the actions of a few Mexican 'nacionales' aren't pissing on our gov't by ignoring international agreements; they are pissing on John Q. Citizen. Odd they cannot appreciate that difference.

Yep. The US isn't going to go into Mexico over use of illegal radios. And I doubt they would do much to the guys on TV as well. Too much money at stake. I see some payoffs and things getting swept under the rug. For the moment anyhow. JMO. I know it's illegal. And I am. Or condoning it one bit. Just stating some things that are bound to happen if a letter was sent to the FCC. I could be totally wrong, but that is a popular show. I'm sure they would quell any issues real quick!!

Yep. The US isn't going to go into Mexico over use of illegal radios. And I doubt they would do much to the guys on TV as well. Too much money at stake. I see some payoffs and things getting swept under the rug. For the moment anyhow. JMO. I know it's illegal. And I am. Or condoning it one bit. Just stating some things that are bound to happen if a letter was sent to the FCC. I could be totally wrong, but that is a popular show. I'm sure they would quell any issues real quick!!

Send a note to the producers of the show threatening legal action via the FCC as well as publicly shaming the show for flaunting illegal activity and see how that works out. Sometimes THAT route works even better. :D

Reactions: BenMara and 222DBFL
If you want them to sit up and take notice tell them you will spearhead a movement to boycott all of the advertisers on that show along with a copy of a formal complaint to the FCC.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.