• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Wilson vs the sirio performer 5000

radioman24

Jul 19, 2009
I saw the new sirio performer 5000 mobile antenna at a fellow cb'ers home in vegas, he said it will out perform the Wilson 1000 I use to run hands down, what are your thoughts?

Reactions: Groundhog KSS-2012

I saw the new sirio performer 5000 mobile antenna at a fellow cb'ers home in vegas, he said it will out perform the Wilson 1000 I use to run hands down, what are your thoughts?
Yup, sure does. I ran a Wilson 5000 for years then tried a Sirio about 2 years ago, big difference in receive and reported transmit. IMHO anything closer to full length 1/4 wave without coils, the better.

I also ran Wilsons for years. A 5k for 10 years and a 1k for 3 years. They both performed well mag mounted to the top of my dodge ram cab. Three months ago I finally got up the nerve and drilled a hole in the top of the cab and went to a sirio p5k. I immediately noticed an increase in my receive and my noise level went down. It also seems to transmit a little better. I realize that a mag mount adds increased ground losses as compared to a permanent mount. So it is a little like comparing apples to oranges. When I get some time and a local operator to help me I would like to do some head to head comparisons of the sirio and both my old wilsons all on the permanent mount. When I do will share my findings...73s

Especially with mobile antennas, there are two aspects that have to be considered. The antenna's physical length which is an 'electrical' thingy, and it's mechanical characteristics which is a 'mechanical' thingy. It does little good if you've got an electrically 'perfect' antenna if it isn't very convenient to drive around with, you know?
'Size' really does control radiation characteristics. If a full sized antenna is 9 feet long and you shorten it by half, you will also be 'shortening' it's radiation characteristics by some amount, maybe 'half'? That sirio performer 5000 mobile antenna is awful close to a full sized 1/4 wave so I would expect it to perform 'close' to a a full sized antenna. If the antenna you are comparing it to isn't as 'long' as that sirio then I would expect there to be some differences in performance. No manufacturer/brand has a 'secret' improvement that does miracles, no matter what they say...
- 'Doc

and of course it depends on just how 'tuned' each antenna is...

I also ran Wilsons for years. A 5k for 10 years and a 1k for 3 years. They both performed well mag mounted to the top of my dodge ram cab. Three months ago I finally got up the nerve and drilled a hole in the top of the cab and went to a sirio p5k. I immediately noticed an increase in my receive and my noise level went down. It also seems to transmit a little better. I realize that a mag mount adds increased ground losses as compared to a permanent mount. So it is a little like comparing apples to oranges. When I get some time and a local operator to help me I would like to do some head to head comparisons of the sirio and both my old wilsons all on the permanent mount. When I do will share my findings...73s

Did you use the Sirio roof mount? Got any pics of what it looks like mounted? I thought hard about drilling my roof but the dude in CA want's too much shipping for a roof mount and 12' coax, plus I'm scared i'd tear a hole in my roof since I'm in the woods a good bit. For those reasons (mainly No. 2) I went back to my whip. thanks.

Did you use the Sirio roof mount? Got any pics of what it looks like mounted? I thought hard about drilling my roof but the dude in CA want's too much shipping for a roof mount and 12' coax, plus I'm scared i'd tear a hole in my roof since I'm in the woods a good bit. For those reasons (mainly No. 2) I went back to my whip. thanks.

I didn't use the Sirio mount I picked up a comet 3D5MB cheap at a ham fest. It is rated for hf-600mhz. I believe it came with 5 meters of coax which was more than enough for my use in a reg cab (not extended) truck. If I remember it was rated up to 350 watts (at 146mhz)...good enough for me w a 2950dx & a texas star 250. I didn't want to pull out my head liner so i just removed my 3rd brake light for my install. Antenna is a little far back on the cab so it doesn't talk all that well off the back...but if i aim the truck at you it's like a beam..lol. I also almost ordered the turbo 5000 instead of the performer 5000. I chose the Performer for the fold over pivot which is nice to just fold over instead of unscrewing off the mount when height is a problem. With it on top a 4x4 full size truck it is pretty tall. All in all I am very pleased with the results so far....on ssb when the band is up I can work all that I hear on 11 and the sirio is broad banded enough to get me into 10 with no swr probs...had to trim it down just a little. It seems more broad banded than my wilsons...hope this info helps...

oh I will try to put up a couple pics asap

I didn't use the Sirio mount I picked up a comet 3D5MB cheap at a ham fest. It is rated for hf-600mhz. I believe it came with 5 meters of coax which was more than enough for my use in a reg cab (not extended) truck. If I remember it was rated up to 350 watts (at 146mhz)...good enough for me w a 2950dx & a texas star 250. I didn't want to pull out my head liner so i just removed my 3rd brake light for my install. Antenna is a little far back on the cab so it doesn't talk all that well off the back...but if i aim the truck at you it's like a beam..lol. I also almost ordered the turbo 5000 instead of the performer 5000. I chose the Performer for the fold over pivot which is nice to just fold over instead of unscrewing off the mount when height is a problem. With it on top a 4x4 full size truck it is pretty tall. All in all I am very pleased with the results so far....on ssb when the band is up I can work all that I hear on 11 and the sirio is broad banded enough to get me into 10 with no swr probs...had to trim it down just a little. It seems more broad banded than my wilsons...hope this info helps...

oh I will try to put up a couple pics asap

Yes it does, thanks for the info.

jch

I use to run the Wilson 5000. I now run the Siro 5000 and I have just bought another Siro for my other car. From my experience the Siro received further than the Wilson. JMHO

I ran test a while ago between Sirio 5000 and Wilson 5000 mag mounts on a Toyota Tacoma pickup. The Sirio did a small amount better but certainly not Hands Down or significantly better.
IMHO the Sirio is way too stinger heavy to justify the minimal gain. The Sirio is also MUCH MUCH more likely to be knocked of the roof by contact with a tree limb than a Wilson.
The Sirio broad bands better no doubt.
If you go mag mount and buy the Sirio, get a trimag or you'll scratch the paint of the vehicle when it gets knocked off.

That's why I'm conscious of where I drive. My Sirio costs too much to mess up. If you add to the thickness of the sheet metal under a mag mount then you increase it's holding power plus I just found out that I can use panty hose under my mag mount to keep scratches down to a minimum.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?