1. You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Wire antenna building supplies

Discussion in 'General Ham Radio Discussion' started by Highlander_821, Jun 11, 2017.

1. Highlander_821

Highlander_821
    Expand Collapse
    Amour d'Ecosse

I should have posted this in the Amateur Antennas forum.

2. KD2GOE

KD2GOE
    Expand Collapse
    W9WDX Amateur Radio Club Member

What are you talking about?
    Well it may have been 250' role but it was $50 so i guess that brakes your bank?

3. w9cll

w9cll
    Expand Collapse

No what I talking about is sometime people think they need to go to a specialty shop to get what that need when Home Depot/Menards/Lowes will do just fine. 250' for $50 is still steep and can be found for less if you search.

4. KD2GOE

KD2GOE
    Expand Collapse

Who cares what shop thats what i have near me thats what i used
    Ok i looked up what i paid
    It was a 34.99 for a 500' spool of black wire and a tube on 1/2 pvc pipe was $6.48..

5. w9cll

w9cll
    Expand Collapse

Whatever! My reply was not totally directed at you! I was merely pointing out to others who maybe thinking about building an antenna. You don't specialty places.

Relax Matt

6. HomerBB

HomerBB
    Expand Collapse

Currently the price of 250' of #14 stranded wire is $47, and the solid roll is $43. It can be bought by the foot at $0.35 at Home Depot.
    As said, PVC is available for insulators for less than $2 for a 10' stick.
    If you can get beyond a small bit of SWR, and not need to put a lot of watts on the wire, even 75 Ohm RG6 coax can be purchased cheaply from Home Depot and similar stores. A 30' to 40' extending mast can be made from electrical conduit at about $50, a fraction of the cost from online sources. Although it isn't dacron, poly/nylon rope for guying can be sourced from THD and similar stores.
    For more or less than $100 an entire antenna system can be acquired from your local home improvement retailer.
    Start with those parts of the setup you can and work it out as you go.

2RT307 likes this.
  7. 2RT307

2RT307
    Expand Collapse

I can't remember who posted the link a while back, but I bought a 500' spool of 12 gauge for 34.99, and I think free shipping. This was an Amazon seller... I am away from home and don't have my laptop. There are deals out there, for sure.

I was going to buy a custom random wire online with built in insulator, 14 ga wire, and pretty stealthy. Wire was 24.99, and 16 bucks to ship! :LOL: It pays to shop.

Brett