• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

WIRELESS SECURITY CAMERA SYSTEM

Sonar

Apr 8, 2016
I own a rental property on Staten Island. I'm currently renting to family members. I stayed there on the weekend of the snowfall. I was the first one out and noticed someone left footprints in the snow leading from the street to the side of my vehicle which was parked in the driveway. I have a feeling somebody was checking to see if my Vehicles door was unlocked (it was locked). I would like to get a wireless security camera system. I need one with 4 cameras but as long as I am able to add extra cameras from the initial package, that's fine. Can someone recommend one. Record capabilities, and no monthly payment, are a must. Just your basic record capable play back and either viewable from a screen that comes with the system or a PC screen, whichever is cheapest. Easy installation is paramount. Somewhere between 150 and $300 would be ideal. The house does have Wi-Fi, and PC/tables/smartphones. I've done my online research, but with so many available, I thought I'd ask to see if any of my friends on this form own or have owned one of these Wireless security camera systems in the past, and if they were happy with it. Any suggestions would be appreciated. 73

Built-in infra-red light and motion activated features are also a huge benefit to have in this arrangement. Becoming far more commonplace now - too. Prices are competitive in this consumer market. Choose wisely and shop a lot, read all of the reviews you can. I would.

Reactions: LeapFrog and Sonar
Yes, By all means run a video surveillance system (y) Standard procedure nowadays. Use a multi-layered approach if your budget allows it... DVR, LAN, VoIP, Wireless CDMA-GSM ;)

I would think a lot of guys that are active on ebay and Amazon would use a camera system. Hard to believe how many reports of packages stolen from people's front porches over the holidays! I know Harbor Freight sells some systems, but don't know if they are any good or not. Hopefully you will get some guidance here.

Brett

Sounds like kids looking for items to grab and go. I am sorry your relatives live in Staten Island! LOL

Last edited:
If you go wifi, I would use a separate router, and dedicated a pc to that if necessary. That will keep 99.98% of hackers out of your home network. The other .02% can't be kept out anyways.

Robb I agree just stating that it is clearly possible.
[if you don't take extra steps in setup] What is likely possible:
Someone wil be able to tap into the feed to see what the cameras see, nothing to risk your network unless you use a readily available consumer router with a default admin password and that's assuming a hacker gives a dang to try n' enter your system.

In this case, adding the cameras to your network makes you no more vulnerable than if you didn't have them on your network in the first place. Things change if the system has a DVR w/ remote access connected to a PC on the L.A.N., then you can have real a network infiltration/hack occur beyond your router.
Someone could then disable your cameras without you knowing or even hack your p.c. (assuming they are on your LAN, then backdoor your pc through a remote desktop assistance port) & spy for (and steal) credit card/banking info, socialmedia logins, emails, tax records, & any personal identity information. Cyber threats are real,always keep security in mind.

If you go wifi, I would use a separate router, and dedicated a pc to that if necessary. That will keep 99.98% of hackers out of your home network. The other .02% can't be kept out anyways.
Then keep that whole "LAN/intranet" (the dedicated dvr-pc/router) off of the internet and not connected to any other devices, then your chances of any "threats" [beyond someone seeing what your cameras see] go way down, just don't use a default password for your router!
(Someone could disable your cameras record function w/out you knowing)

The IR LED "night vision" cameras are a cost effective solution!
You will be fine, I wouldn't worry about it.

Last edited:
Then keep that whole "LAN/intranet" (the dedicated dvr-pc/router) off of the internet and not connected to any other devices, then your chances of any "threats" [beyond someone seeing what your cameras see] go way down, just don't use a default password for your router!
10 minutes in front of his house and someone can be in regardless if it's on the net or not. Wireless is great but it does make everything open to hacking. Best option is to run wires, yes they are a pain in the ass but hard to hack into a wire.

I think I have been in IT security to long and have become jaded.

Reactions: LeapFrog

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.