• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Wizard GI-46B

bigred222

Key Up City Radio
Aug 28, 2006
Stamford, CT
www.cbjunk.com
I want to get this amp after i get money from something.
anyone have any info on any of this guys amps? are they good? How much TVI will i get with this amp over a solidstate 2X4?
thanks
BR round key up city connecticut

anything solid state is going to be a broadbanded amp
so what you drive it with will be amplified in a broadbanded spectrum

now with tubes and any tuning done on a certain frequency will tune the amp to that certain channel or frequency still will have some bleed or splatter but not near as much

bigred222,
Just out of curiosity, what's the price on that amplifier?

Relying on my memory, something that's not exactly a real smart thing to do, that tube seems to be similar to a 3cx1200, sort of. If that's true, then the claims for it are 'slightly' exaggerated (at least 2X). Keeping that "if" in mind, it's probably not a particularly 'bad' amplifier, shouldn't be any 'dirtier' than a solid state amplifier (they're all "garbage in, garbage out" sort of thingys). Can't really say without knowing about the rest of the circuit, not just the tube.
And just as a sort of "it sure reminds me of a..." sort of thing, it sure reminds me of an 'Ameritron' AL-1200. It also brings to mind that George Jone's song, "She reminds me of the one I used to love", with the same 'catch', sort of.
All things considered, -I- would wait a while to see if they are any 'good'. But that's just 'me'. The parts of the deal that would make me 'wait' is the availability of the tube. From what little I know about 'Svetlana' and a 'GI-46b', it may not be around very long. That's a huge guess, so don't put much value in it.
- 'Doc

he wants 1000 bucks for it doc. looks like a good amp but i dont know who has one. i tried to post this question on CBRT but it wasnt a worldwide amp so bozo had a canary.
73's round the band
BIGRED is back listenin.

... ham radio amplifier? It would really surprise me if it is, no matter what it's called and by whoever is doing the calling.
- 'Doc

Dont buy that thing red its junk.Save up a little more and buy a converted henry generator with a 3000 tube.Wizards amps are a joke ask donald he will tell you the same.

red drive down to guilford sometime ill show you what im talking about.Wizard uses a peak kit to measure the output of his amps.They swing backwards rms on a bird 43.

This is a year old thread, we've thoroughly bashed wizardbuilt amps since then but I think this bigred guy bought one.

This is a year old thread, we've thoroughly bashed wizardbuilt amps since then but I think this bigred guy bought one.

Ya you bashed something you never owned or used im sure. Ive been using a Wizardbuilt GS-31B for a year and works great. Not everyone wants or needs a multiband amp. Does the numbers claimed.

Last edited:
Thankfully this is not one of those "you have to buy it before you try it" circumstances. More fitting would be "a picture is worth a thousand words". Anyone with reasonable amplifier experience looks at a picture of the inside of a Wizard built and laughs. It's nothing more then one mistake piled on top of another and just enough of them fixed to make watts. These amps get bashed for one reason, it's far to hard to look at one and resist the temptation to point out all the defects. We could start all over again if you would post a picture of the inside of yours :) Does your tank coil have a filament transformer for a neighbor? Is the output circuit loaded with high inductance problems? Did you get a plate blocking choke?

If you ever watched his videos, you would hav seen his power supplys are a bit on the weak side. He is like a majician, wants to look at the watt meter, while in the background his VP meter is dipping like crazy. But if you got to QRO parts thay have the specs on the tube for you.
Rich

If you ever watched his videos, you would hav seen his power supplys are a bit on the weak side. He is like a majician, wants to look at the watt meter, while in the background his VP meter is dipping like crazy. But if you got to QRO parts thay have the specs on the tube for you.
Rich

That sagging plate voltage is just part of the sophisticated current limit protection employed :)

I dont have near the brains that afew have on this board in electronics and im a lowly CBer. Just a hobby.I know it does 550 avg on AM. 1700 SSB and sounds pretty darn good doing it. Is it the best built box ever built I seriously doubt it but it works as good or better than I had hoped. No problems in the year ive owned it.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated