• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Wolf River Coils

its a very well built coil. very easy to tune. i love mine.
get well soon.

Good to hear. If you have yours mounted properly, maybe you could take a pic and have him replace that mag mount pic on his website! :D And thanks for the get well wishes. I am doing very well and walking without a cane or crutch. Foot still hurts, but getting better every day!

Brett

ill take some pictures tomorrow. we are in a major snowstorm right now. ill get them asap.
Sorry, reading this on my phone and typed my response before I read this part. Stay safe and warm in the blizzard! Looking forward to the pics.

Brett

Just ordered their mini-coil (10-40). Will pair it with 102" steel whip, 12' high atop painters pole, with three 33' wire radials. (y)

Last edited:
Reactions: Shadetree Mechanic
Thought I'd post a pic of the Wolf River coil. Looks, feels impressive. Quality appears top notch. Tuning collar moves up and down with a solid "click".

IMG_0449.JPG

I opted for the mini-coil (still large). It covers 10-40. The big model (Silver Bullet) does 10-80. As I tune each band, I'll color-code the coil. That way, changing bands will be a snap.
1. Lower the top section of the painters pole.
2. Adjust the setpoint on the coil.
3. Raise pole.
30 seconds tops.

I primarily hang on 20 during the day and 40 at night so that'll be fine. And when I want to use one of the higher bands, it'll be easy peasy.

The setup will be similar to this. But the much longer radials will attach to the top of the fence. (By the way, the 20 meter hamstick in this pic worked darn good.)

IMG_0392.JPG

Will report back with pics and analyzer readings of my "poor man's screwdriver antenna" once I have it up. Will be a few days. (y)

Last edited:
The BAD Boy's...The Legendry BUG CATCHER!
All the Best
Gary

Dogone, Gary. Where were you a week ago? :whistle:
They had me in mind when they made this thing! (y)
And MTC is within driving distance of me! :)

But it is a little pricy. Their 10-40 version is $220. Then there's the capacity hat, matching unit, etc. My Wolf River coil was $45 and I pretty much have have everything else I need.

Thanks for thinking of me. Either way, at least they aren't end feds. :D

Whoever wrote, "The best laid plans of mice and men often go astray," knew what he was talking about.
And was probably a ham.
Another chapter closed.
Where's my darn end fed?

Some clarification is probably in order.
I originally deployed the coil, steel whip and wire radials at a height of 12' with the radial ends attached to my 6' fence. Best I could do on 20 meters was 1.9 across the band. Usable, yes, but was expecting better after viewing all the videos. Especially since mine was elevated and the TIA (Take It Along) version employs a tripod only a foot in height and the radials are placed on the ground. (n)

After much experimenting, I found my optimum arrangement to be a coil height of 6' with the radials on the ground. Here I was able to tune 40 meters very low (1.08 @ 7.200 and 2.5 on the band ends.) No such luck on 20 or the other bands.
After spending the whole day with it I pooped out and dismantled it. No hacksaw, just dismantlement. :D

My interest lies in 10, 20 and 40 meters. My yard is 50x50 with two medium height trees about 20 apart. Not wanting an obtrusive antenna, a bunch of ground radials, or wires zig-zagging across my yard, I think an end fed is my best option. I have a low power model that I have talked all over with and think I'll just order a full-power version.
Unless MFJ sells the patents for their magnetic loops to a manufacturer interested in building a high quality product.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated