• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Wound ferrite inductor for center loaded whip?

trees

Nov 27, 2014
Considering using wound ferrite core incorporated into fiberglass whip. If the toroid were large enough I could wrap thermaleze wire and center the toroid on the fiberglass shaft. Has anyone tried this?

I'll also add that the toroid will be the only wound wire on the antenna. Antenna will not be helical.

Considering using wound ferrite core incorporated into fiberglass whip. If the toroid were large enough I could wrap thermaleze wire and center the toroid on the fiberglass shaft. Has anyone tried this?

I'm guessing that since no commercial antenna manufacturer has done it then there is a reason they have not done it. Linear wound air core coils are the way to go. Less losses.

Toroids are used to contain the magnetic flux. It would not radiate as you might think.
it would help with impedance matching. The helical winding like the type used on FireStik antennas work best.

Toroids are used to contain the magnetic flux. It would not radiate as you might think.
it would help with impedance matching. The helical winding like the type used on FireStik antennas work best.

My plan is to use relatively large wire with few turns. I could use either a ferrite rod, or toroid. Polyolefin heatshrink will hold the inductor to the fiberglass. The ferrite should give me high Q. The magnetic flux is providing the inductance, yes? The inductor is simply to cancel the capacitive reactance incurred through shortening the element. The current will be carried on copper braid with the fiberglass rod sheathed underneath.

Last edited:

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.