• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Wouxun KG-UVD1P

W1MSG

Now W1MSG
May 9, 2010
MA
Anyone have any first hand experience with one of these little Dual Banders.

I did a search on the forums and all I saw was bashing and Auctions ..

I am really considering purchasing one of these units, I have watched a few videos on Youtube and read a few reviews. For less than $100 for a dual band how can you go wrong.

Before you guys start flaming me about Chinese Junk, DONT, I have a VX-7 and have owned several Kenwood HT's as well so I'm not a noob and if it works as well as they seem to in the videos it will be a great little carry along. Maybe do some X Band Repeating via my FTM-350 ...

Go to radiogearpro.com and see what other Chinese h/t's are available in your price range.

There are better to be had.

Anyone have any first hand experience with one of these little Dual Banders.

I did a search on the forums and all I saw was bashing and Auctions ..

I am really considering purchasing one of these units, I have watched a few videos on Youtube and read a few reviews. For less than $100 for a dual band how can you go wrong.

Before you guys start flaming me about Chinese Junk, DONT, I have a VX-7 and have owned several Kenwood HT's as well so I'm not a noob and if it works as well as they seem to in the videos it will be a great little carry along. Maybe do some X Band Repeating via my FTM-350 ...

I own one.

I also own a PX-888D as well.

While the KG-UVD1P is indeed dual-band, I find the UI to be terrible. The PX-888D is much better.

But there's nothing technically wrong with the UVD1P - it works fine, and sounds fine... great deal for a radio.

The one thing I do find annoying about them is that they don't have a power jack - so the only way to charge the batteries is using the charging stand... and the only way to power them externally is to use a battery eliminator.

Last edited:
I JUST picked one up to do a review on. It's a little goofy, but it does work for a cheap price. I'll be posting a detailed review very soon. I would be interested in what GLR knows about Chinese HT's in the price range that are better. It's hard to get solid info on functionality from radiogearpro.com.

I would be interested in what GLR has to add as well.

Not having a power jack really doesnt bother me, almost all of the commercial radios I use or have used dont have one and you have to use a base charger.

Some of the other Chinese radios havent gotten very good reviews and as far as I can tell Wouxun is the only one with an FCC certificate.

I'll probably order one this week, the programming cable is suppose to be the same as the kenwood and I have one of those around here somewhere, be curious what software will work with the programming.

Thanks for the input

Craig

I JUST picked one up to do a review on. It's a little goofy, but it does work for a cheap price. I'll be posting a detailed review very soon. I would be interested in what GLR knows about Chinese HT's in the price range that are better. It's hard to get solid info on functionality from radiogearpro.com.

If I was forced to purchase today I would buy another Quansheng TG-UV2 which just like the Wouxun I own had some quirks but is all around a better built radio, easier to program, etc.

Having said that though, I spoke too soon on posting that radiogearpro link, Feidaxin has a new one coming that should have been out by now. If you aren't in a hurry I would wait. The Feidaxin products I've owned (a dozen or so) have been top notch. I understand they will use the same charging cradle as the older FDC's.

If work would ever slow down I would put together a lengthy picture review. I've owned a few of the Chinese units. Only way to go as far as I'm concerned.

edit to add:

I should have stated this earlier, at this point in the Chinese h/t evolution I really wouldn't be looking toward a dual band h/t. For the price I would pick up a uhf AND a vhf model as there is a much wider selection and higher quality units available in the single banders right now. They just aren't where they need to be yet in the dual h/t's but it's coming.

I own that Wouxun and like it quite a lot. For the money it's great.

Has some usability quirks as far as the manual programming method, but aside from that, it's a great value. Programming software is free, you just need the $10 cable for it.

The other thing to note, it uses a female SMA connector, 'inside out' from most US ham HT's so get an adapter if you want to use it with other antennas.

I buy from Radioshop888 KG-UVD1P VX-8R VX-3R VX-7R VX-170 KG-699E KG-669 KG-689 PX-777 PX-888 FT-897 FT-857 VX-177 VXA-300 KG-679 VEV-3288S V-1000 TG-UV FT-817ND FT-60R FT-897 FT-857 VX-7R VX-7RB VX-6R VX-3R FT-1802M FT-8800R VX-170 FT-8900R FT-2800M FT-7800R P have done a bunch of business with him with no troubles. Shipping is from Hong Kong so it takes a good ten days or so with the free shipping, but aside from that, they are good.

TX audio on FM is about the best I've ever heard from an HT, very natural sounding. RX audio is very loud, a bit sharp, but doesn't distort like many other HTs.

On longer transmissions at full power, it barely gets warm, where all my other ham HT's feel like they are about to melt.

I got the 1700mAh battery and it works well too, nice long battery life.

I bought the most expensive speaker mic and the audio quality from it is impressive, far far better than the yaesu mics I also own.

For $105 roughly, free shipping you get

Radio/battery/antenna
Car adapter
Stand up charger
earphone/mic (this is junk)

The battery was $18 I think
Programming cable about $10
Mic was $22
Software is free.

If you have a real serial port, get that cable, the USB programming cable is a black market version of the Prolific chip and requires the specific driver from Wouxun for it to work...a bit annoying to get going. If you already have the two-pin style Kenwood cables kicking around, they are the same cable...same as with the speaker mic.

Definitely not junk and a good value for the money.

The other thing to note, it uses a female SMA connector, 'inside out' from most US ham HT's so get an adapter if you want to use it with other antennas.

yep, most of the chinese h/t's are the same

I buy from Radioshop888 KG-UVD1P VX-8R VX-3R VX-7R VX-170 KG-699E KG-669 KG-689 PX-777 PX-888 FT-897 FT-857 VX-177 VXA-300 KG-679 VEV-3288S V-1000 TG-UV FT-817ND FT-60R FT-897 FT-857 VX-7R VX-7RB VX-6R VX-3R FT-1802M FT-8800R VX-170 FT-8900R FT-2800M FT-7800R P have done a bunch of business with him with no troubles. Shipping is from Hong Kong so it takes a good ten days or so with the free shipping, but aside from that, they are good.

I forgot about them, another good place to spend your money.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?