• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Yaesu FT-857D, Icom-7000, Kenwood TS-480SAT

FJR Predator

Jun 24, 2007
Philadelphia, PA
I'm new to HAM and currently studying for my Tech online. I've been pondering what would be my starter radio. From what I've been reading the 3 rigs listed above seem to be the people's choice. Those of you that have owned or use these radios, which do you favor and why?

I have owned the Yaesu 857D and I just became the owner of an Icom IC-7000 that I replaced an Icom 706MKIIg with. I am becoming familiar with the 7000 with the intent of writing a detailed review of it in the very near future. I have not owned the Kenwood you mentioned.

The Yaesu 857D is a good mobile HF/VHF/UHF radio. However, the screen is very small for a mobile, which may be important to consider. The menus are a little goofy, although you can get use to it.

My initial impressions of the Icom 7000 are very positive. The screen is big for a mobile and very crisp and easy to read. You can see a lot more of what is going on with the rig because there is more display room. It uses DSP at the IF stage instead of at the AF stage like the 857D. This means that they can also use the DSP to affect filter width and shape and they provide you 3 filter width presets. The DSP also provides a manual notch filter function. There are a bunch of things that the IC-7000 can do that the 857D cannot. However, at $500 more than the 857D, it should do a lot more, too.

In my so far limited use of the IC-7000, it seems like clearly the best mobile HF/VHF/UHF rig on the market. It makes for a fine base station rig, as well...as long as you don't plan on doing a bunch of interfacing to external devices (not enough ports on mobile rigs).

I own a IC-7000 for a little more than 2 years and love it. I recommend it to everyone who asks about which radio to get. I do not own the others but a friend does and he likes them too. I must say though, the 7000 has more and easyer to operate but like Mo says, more expensive. I will never trade, sell this radio and I am thinking of buying another soon.

AP

I personally am a new ham myself and was just in the same prediciment you are this week

I bought an 857D for many reasons

It does appear that the icom is a better radio. However it is almost DOUBLE the money. So one would expect it to be a better radio.
Here are a few things that made me go yaesu

First of all $$$
I didnt want to spend 1300

Second of all i like tha the yaesu can be programed with software.
Which i have used befor on my yassue ht's

Peoples biggest complaint about this radio is the small screen and the menus

For me i am ok with the menues it just takes getting used to like anything else and now that i own it i dont think they are that bad at all

Second this is my BASE rig, not mobile
So the small screen does not bother me

Also as a new ham i will never be able to take full advantage of all the awesome feature the 7000 offers. It is just a different class of radios in my opinion

Great radio but i also love my 857 so far and running it on ham radio deluxe software is so awesome!!!!

I'm also looking for my 1st HF and really want the VHF / UHF as well. The 757D is looking better all the time as far as bang for the buck goes. Hope to get my General in a couple of weeks. Not sure what would be a good HF antenna as I am some what space restricted. I already have a Dual Band base antenna up on the rood for VHF / UHF so I am good there.

Craig

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated