• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

YAESU FT 891 REVIEW by 91DD018

unit_399

EL CAPO
Jun 17, 2008
ALEJANDRIA, COLOMBIA SA
download.jpg

Here is a link to an excellent review of the new Yaesu FT-891 hf mobile by 91DD018.

https://dd182003.wordpress.com/2017/02/20/a-new-radio-on-the-bench-ft-891/

I usually don't post links to other person's blogs, but I am doing this so that I won't be accused of plagiarism again by Senor YetiComm.

Reactions: Mudfoot and 2RT307

Interesting review. These mobiles are menu driven due to their miniscule size, and they take some getting used to. An FT-991 or IC-7300 are really too big to go mobile, unless you have a pickup or 18 wheeler, so there are few choices out there. IC-7100, FT-857D, TS-480, and a couple of Alinco's are it. The 7100 and 857D are the only ones that do HF/VHF/UHF, too. I have been considering the FT-891 for some time now, but this review was more of a " I like this and don't like that", that it didn't really sway me one way or the other.

Brett

I've looked at the feature set and operation of this radio enough to know it's not for me. I really would like to see Yaesu come out with an updated version of the FT-857D, but this just isn't it.

I've looked at the feature set and operation of this radio enough to know it's not for me. I really would like to see Yaesu come out with an updated version of the FT-857D, but this just isn't it.

My eyes have gotten worse over the years, and I'm not sure I could see the 857D's diplay while driving down the road. That was the main thing I liked about the 891, was the larger display. Not having UHF/VHF isn't a deal breaker for me, since you can get small dual band fm mobiles on the cheap. The IC-7100 is interesting (although a bit funky looking), but I have read a lot about it not having full output on ssb. When running a compromise mobile antenna, you need every watt you can get!

Brett

What is it that you don't like?

A quick glance at it, I see a bigger display than the FT857 and this one is the first mobile with a roofing filter. It also has a TCXO and supports an optional antenna tuner if needed and sells for $700.

Seems like a good deal for a mobile to me.

Reactions: Mudfoot
Well, .......good luck with the ATAS 120A.

I know you JUST bought it, but, many people seem to have issues with the 120 (not the "A") .

YMMV

Well, .......good luck with the ATAS 120A.

I know you JUST bought it, but, many people seem to have issues with the 120 (not the "A") .

YMMV
Thanks, I know the history. Supposedly fixed with the "A" version. Eham posters can't seem to read... the review topic for the ATAS 120A clearly says the "A" model, yet non "A" owners post on there and say how bad it gets water in it.

Brett

Reactions: Mudfoot

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.