• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Yaesu FT-891

Riverman

Nov 12, 2013
Wondering if this would make a good first HF radio. It is about the same price as the FT-450D.

I would get the 450D or even the FT991. That is the one that has the most freqs. HF/50mhz/VHF/UHF. That or look for an Icom 7000, or something like that. The 450D's seem to work pretty well from the ones I've heard on air. Stock mic and just setting the radio up right goes a long way. JMHO's. Good day.

The 891 is a small and compact radio intended for mobile use. Yaesu mobiles I think are to small and I have to put my glasses on to read the display. Not very conducive to mobile operating when you should have a larger easy to read display.

The 450D or 991 are compact in size for a base station but are much larger than the 891 and easy to operate while taking up less desktop space.

I would go with the 450D Unless you want VHF/UHF in an all in one radio.

Reactions: 222DBFL
Thanks, guys.
After checking the specs, I see the 891 is only 6" across. Since I'll be using it for a base I would like something a little larger. Will definitely look at the 450D.

Last edited:
Ive have been using one of the MegaWatt S400-12 power supplies for over 2 years now and will say for the money they are hard to beat!! 36A and cost is $65. They are small and take up very little room as well as having a 2yr warranty and awesome CS!! I would highly recommend one of these. And yes mine is used on an HF radio. An Icom 746 to be exact. It powers that and most anything else I need as well. I've ran a 2 transistor amp on it without any issues too. And it's a clean power supply as far as hash goes. They make a couple didfenr ones, a 30A, a 36A, and a 50A one. Any one of them will work on the Yaseu FT450D or many other HF radios too. Just some food for thought. Have a good one.

Just googled those having never heard of them. Lots of great reviews like yours. Always thought I'd get an Astron but the Megawatts sound like a real bargain. Thanks!

Reactions: 222DBFL
Dumb question alert!

I see these provide 9.5 to 15.5 volts. Do I have to manually adjust them to the setting I want (13.8)?

They should be close to 14 volts but if not, It's a simple adjustment by turning the voltage adjustment screw on back next and checking with a volt meter.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.