• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Yaesu FT-897D vs. Yaesu FT-857D

KD8LWX

Aug 17, 2009
My dumb question of the day. :headbang

What is the difference between the Yaesu FT-897D and Yaesu FT-857D?

I can not find where they are lined up head to head.

Thanks

Yaesu FT-897D vs Yaesu FT-857D

Thanks

1.Both radio's share the same circuit board, although the 897D has room for either a yaesu power supply that was made to fit inside the radio or two large battery packs which allows for portable use with power output of 20 watts.

2.Both can share the same yaesu MH-31 stock mic or the yaesu MH-36 DTMF mic.

3.Both can use the same collins mechanical SSB & CW Filters.

4.The 897D comes with the TCXO-9 from factory while the 857D is purchased as an option.

Other than that, look at both radios as big brother and little brother.

(and yes I have both of them) :D

My wife runs an 857Din one of her vehicles its a great little radio Im thinking about getting another one. I know the 897D also has the option of adding an external or removable battery for QRP.

They are the same radio in a differant box basically. Even Yaesu says that. The display is a bit differant and as said the 897 has room for either a builtin PSU or battery pack but as for performance and specs they are the same radio built on the same circuit board. The 897 lends itself to base operations better while the 857 is better suited for mobile use.

My wife runs an 857Din one of her vehicles its a great little radio Im thinking about getting another one. I know the 897D also has the option of adding an external or removable battery for QRP.

QRP?

The 897 lends itself to base operations better while the 857 is better suited for mobile use.

Why, I was thinking just the opposite because of the internal batteries?

Last edited:
The 857D is the size of a 2m/440 mobile radio, while the 897 is a lot larger. The 857D has a removable face plate for convenient mobile operation. The 897D is intended to be use a base or portable, but not mobile. When you install the internal batteries on the 897d, you are limited to 20 watts (if I remember correctly), however hooking up to the an external battery gets you the full 100 watts. The internal power supply option on the 897D is really neat.

I have an 897D and I used to have an 857D.

Thanks

If you can't find a "head to head" comparison, get the specifications for each radio under consideration and make your own. Make as many columns as you have data points and have at it.

I second what QRN is saying as a matter of fact whenever I buy anything or when Im thinking about purchasinf something new I really research it gather all the information on what Im all looking at then sit and compare facts or comments and so far so good Ive done well with decissions.

The best advice and information for me is talking to people I actually know that have run or had thje hands on experience with things and not just a bunch of people Ive never even heard of before. In ways it has its good points but we all know some people are just picky and never happy so without knowing if a review your reading is coming from one of these people its hard to say whats worth gold and whats not.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated