• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Yaesu FTM-350 GPS & Navi Video Review

Moleculo

Ham Radio Nerd
Apr 14, 2002
I temporarily installed the Yaesu FTM-350 in the car today to show the GPS and Navi features. The GPS functions work great, but the Navi feature is...well....flawed. Basically, the Navi feature doesn't work at all. :confused: I don't know where or how Yaesu tested this function, but they obviously didn't test it very thoroughly. This will, of course, be the subject of an inquiry to Yaesu.

Here's the video; watch and see for yourself. Let me know if I can answer any questions.

Thanks for the super review, now I have to try to slip out and give it a test today! I carry a Magellan Crossover in my rig so the 350 was going to be a backup since it didn't have mapping anyway.

I don't have the GPS module yet so I am unable to test it out myself but from yours and the other reviewers post I believe it might be a problem with all the units unless someone else says it's working for them. I uploaded my install picks in my album today. I set it up so everything is easy to remove just in case.

Moleculo,

My navigation system in the Jeep does EXACTLY the same thing when I disconnect power from the stereo. I have disconnected the power for a few reasons.

It took a few hours one time to get oriented. I called Chrysler and they told me to find a large area with no buildings or metal. Stop the vehicle facing north. Put the car in drive and slowly complete about 2-3 complete circles at an idle so it can get oriented.

Also, is there a region setting for that GPS? I had to set the region I am in for the midwest.

I know it is two different GPS units, but they work on the same principal.

When this is hooked to your vehicle, is there a constant 12 volt source to the radio power cord or is it switched?

Do you keep the head unit mounted all the time?

I set my cell phone on top of my dashboard one day and I looked at the nav system and it said I was currently driving in Lake Michigan, I was actually 70 miles south of Chicago, away from Lake Michigan. :LOL:

It took some time to orient the navigation system again.

You should leave that thing mounted with constant power to the radio and see if it helps. In fact, park it in your driveway for a few hours with the radio on in GPS mode and see if that helps

From the APRS Manual

E01: APRS COMPASS
APRS/PKT SET MODE
Function: Selects the display format of the APRS compass. Available Values: NORTH UP or HEADING UP Default: NORTH UP

From the regular manual

␣ Press the [DISP] key to change the compass. Available selections are ““Compass Rose (North Up)””, ““Compass Rose (Heading Up)””, and ““Compass Tape””.

I'll try what you said about leaving it connected, etc. to get oriented. However, the other settings you're talking about only apply to either the general GPS screen or the APRS GPS settings. They don't do anything on the NAVI feature...I know because I tried it already.

Wait, I just realized something. The GPS has been in the radio since Day One. The radio has been in use in my den, right next to the window with a lock on the GPS birds. Just moving it into the car wouldn't cause it to need to get "re-oriented". The GPS also wasn't near anything like a speaker magnet or anything else in the car. It was also on a non-switched power outlet (always on).

Happy_Hamer, that procedure you described is for orienting an electronic COMPASS sensor, not for a GPS. Some nav systems do have an internal compass sensor and use data from both to help with things, but in general you only need a GPS for that functionality. If you have one of those compasses in your car embedded in the mirror or on the dash, you can check your manual and I'll *bet* you anything there's an alignment procedure just like what you describe you're supposed to do for it. Most people don't bother, and it generally only results in the compass being off a few degrees at most, but that's what it's for.

I have no idea if the 350R has an internal compass or not, but it may since some folks use them for field rigs. Those can be much more precise when moving slow (like when hiking) than just a GPS signal, I think.

--Donnie

Navi OK

I've made 2 runs the last few days of about 20 miles each way (40 Miles total each trip) between 2 stored points and the NAVI function has been working flawlessly. I changed the North Up/Heading Up setting and it has had no impact. I've also not had any lock-ups in the week I have operated it either as a mobile or a base station.

I hope Yaesu can identify why your radio(s) are acting up and correct them.

I really like the FTM-350 in my mobile; now if I can only figure out how to get the data out port to be read properly by the existing APRS programs out there. The radio really needs better TNC/APRS documentation (along with memory banks.)

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.