• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Yaesu FTM-350 lock-up problems

I bought this radio and brought it to Europe as I do now? I do not have the capability to deliver it to the store? How do I update the software
HELP me

Did Yaesu say what was wrong? was it an issue with your particular radio or was it a software update?

No they didn't. I will email the tech to see if they will say. Since I got it Friday night, there was no chance to ask them before the weekend.

I bought this radio and brought it to Europe as I do now? I do not have the capability to deliver it to the store? How do I update the software
HELP me

I don't know if it's a software or hardware issue, as they didn't say. If you're having the lockup issue, I think you're probably going to have to contact their tech support to see if there is a location in Europe that you can send it to for the fix.

I have left the radio on continuously since Friday night (about 40 hours now) monitoring APRS, beaconing every 10 minutes, and also monitoring 146.52. It has not locked up at all. It looks like the problem may indeed be fixed. (y)

Well, I've had my replacement 350 for about a week now - and thus far, I've had no spontaneous power-down events or obvious system freezes while using the radio. I'm one of those rare customers who bought this unit just for the radio itself & the outstanding display.....so I cannot comment on Nav/APRS issues. On 2 occasions, the right side audio has become a bit weak/scratchy sounding - the first time I corrected it by doing a limited reset (not the full reset which kills memory info) and the second time it just self-corrected. Curiously, with the recommended Yaesu ext speaker connected, the left-side puts 90% sound out through the ext speaker and 10% sound out through the control panel speaker......while the right-side does exactly the opposite. Anyone else experiencing this? Perhaps this is how the radio was intended to work? I did speak with Yaesu techs about this, back when my original radio crashed.....and the tech was clearly not too familiar with the unit....in a nutshell, he wasn't sure about this. If I select only rear speaker sound through the menu, the left side continues to boom through the ext speaker & the right side sounds rather weak through the ext speaker. At any rate, allowing the left side to dominate the ext speaker while the right side dominates the front panel speaker works just fine for me. I have yet to try attaching a second ext speaker via the speaker output L/R splitter cable that came with the radio.....maybe that will allow each side to boom through its respective ext speaker?

All in all, radio # 2 has been performing rather well. I'm curious if others have had any particular ongoing troubles with the radio portion of this model. For now, I'm going to hold off on sending the radio in to Yaesu, as I don't anticipate using the Nav/APRS features....and I'm not sure if their "fix" applies to anything other than reported Nav/APRS troubles.

DoctorDave

I had the weak/scratchy problem, but only on the left side. Trying to send the audio out to the stereo in the truck didn't correct it. The tech told me to reset it and it corrected it but wiped out my programming. That was a month or so back and its been fine up to a day or so ago. Not as bad as before but I'm not reseting anything until those boys at RT Systems get the cable and software done and ready to ship.

I see that the radio after visiting the site is working properly, the question whether he will be able to upload new firmware? I do not have the possibility to return the radio to the shop? Meuse yaesu provide improved software?

Glad your audio corrected and stayed that way, Skysho. I'm a number of days out since having audio troubles....so far, so good. Hope it stays that way. Are you presently using an external speaker with your rig? Having the same issue I have, where the left audio seems to mostly end up driving the ext speaker and the right audio mostly ends up driving the front panel speaker, by chance?

No external speaker, using the control head for both left and right. However, the right side is APRS nad turned down completely. The left is my primary conversation or monitoring side.

I see that the radio after visiting the site is working properly, the question whether he will be able to upload new firmware? I do not have the possibility to return the radio to the shop? Meuse yaesu provide improved software?

As far as I know, the radio's firmware is not user-updateable. I'm not even sure the problem was firmware...they didn't say. I do know that when I got the radio back, it will still programmed with my callsign and memories (I only had a couple), as well as all my APRS settings and map points. I went to the special setup screen where it displays the firmware version which still said 1.0.

moleculo dziękuję za odpowiedz , widzę że chyba zostanę z niedziałającym radiem i na chwilę obecną nie ma możliwości naprawy tych problemów :-(

Is this the English version of that? :)

"thank you for your reply, I see that perhaps become the broken radio and at the moment is not possible to repair these problems :-("

I've now had the radio on continuously for 4 days, monitoring/transmitting APRS on one band and monitoring regular VHF on the other with no lockups. Until I see evidence otherwise, this problem has been fixed by Yaesu.

Public Thank You

I’d like to thank you Moleculo for your knowledgeable reviews and your insight to have your noted issues repaired by Yaesu. Even though I have not experienced any of the problems you documented,

I sent my FTM-350R to the west coast repair facility today for the firmware upgrade. At some point in time, I’ll want to sell this radio and will want to have the most current upgrade installed for the buyer.

It’s not like I’ll be doing without while the 350 is gone, I have 5 other radios to play with! :D

Additionally, I’d like to publically thank John Beckwith, N6JCB for the help he also provided.

73 de
Bill Wallace - K8WAW

I echo K8WAW's thanks and appreciation for all the 350 review effort!! I guess I better box mine up and send it down, I'll still pout for the two week turn around.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated