• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Yaesu FTM-350 lock-up problems

Today I got a reply from Yaesu radio that bad I have to shop in the U.S. there is the possibility of changing the software in Europe has been so damaged my radio which I can not do anything :-( We went to the Kenwood is not the problem seriously is known that the radio spread around the world and not all have the opportunity to donate them to the store should be able to upload the revised software on their own. Very discouraged to the brand Kenwood Kenwood firm on this issue is better! !

Turn-around time

I thought I'd post my experience with the firmware update.

I sent the unit back to Yaesu directly. (Although I bought it locally, the dealer confirmed I should deal with Yaesu directly.)

- Yaesu received it and signed for it on Day 1 (from the carrier's information).

- On Day 3 (from the postmark) Yaesu mails a card indicating that they received it that same day (Day 3). They list the turn-around time at two weeks.

- The unit actually ships back to me on Day 4 (according to the carrier's information).

So there was a delay of two days from when they received it and it shows up in Yaesu's system. But they fixed it and shipped it by the following day. I did not count the transit time to/from Yaesu, since it varies.

The problem also appears to be fixed; the radio has not locked up after a few hours of testing.

Reactions: Moleculo
I thought I'd post my experience with the firmware update.

I sent the unit back to Yaesu directly. (Although I bought it locally, the dealer confirmed I should deal with Yaesu directly.)

- Yaesu received it and signed for it on Day 1 (from the carrier's information).

- On Day 3 (from the postmark) Yaesu mails a card indicating that they received it that same day (Day 3). They list the turn-around time at two weeks.

- The unit actually ships back to me on Day 4 (according to the carrier's information).

So there was a delay of two days from when they received it and it shows up in Yaesu's system. But they fixed it and shipped it by the following day. I did not count the transit time to/from Yaesu, since it varies.

The problem also appears to be fixed; the radio has not locked up after a few hours of testing.

Excellent. My radio has not locked up once since I got it back. It' works still is working flawlessly.

Got mine back.

My radio came back a few days ago also. Everything appears to be working well. The only change I noticed in the radio different from when I sent it is that the display color is changed back to the default blue from the red I had it set at before. All my memory frequencies and settings seem to be the same as when I sent it in. It even has the same beacons on the list that were there before I sent it. Doesn't look like they did a reset as part of the repair.

I also have been trying to find out if the radio is software upgradeable. Several things point to yes. 1) it has a data port on the back, 2) one of the tech support people told me early on that they were keeping a list of suggested changes for their programers to use in a future software upgrade, 3) They sell a clone cable, so if you can clone it it seems reasonable that you can program it, 4) RT Systems says they are working on a program for it and they say "Yes, it is programable" on their website.

I also have been trying to find out if the radio is software upgradeable. Several things point to yes. 1) it has a data port on the back, 2) one of the tech support people told me early on that they were keeping a list of suggested changes for their programers to use in a future software upgrade, 3) They sell a clone cable, so if you can clone it it seems reasonable that you can program it, 4) RT Systems says they are working on a program for it and they say "Yes, it is programable" on their website.

I expect RT Systems to provide software to manage the user-settable parameters (such as storing frequencies in memory). We were hoping for more - the ability to update the executable firmware developed by Yaesu. I'm sure that Yaesu has the ability to do so (and that's how they repaired our radios); we want to be able to do so without sending the radio to Yaesu. So those updated binaries would have to come from Yaesu, not RT systems.

I received the RT Systems package last night and have all the programming done. It is nicely layed out and the user settings well organized. Now all I have to do is get my radio back, it landed in Cypress on Monday. I'm hoping for the quick glitch fix so I can dumped the new data back into it. So far it appears to be another well built program from RT.

Sorry to revive an old thread.

Unfortunately, I have an 8-day old FTM-350 WITH the new 1.2 firmware installed that is having the exact same lockup problem described here.

To Summarize: it locks up on APRS receive at random intervals. This happens whether the other side is set to memory mode or VFO, and tuned to either 70cm or 2m. (turning the APRS modem off seems to prevent the lockups, but that's not a acceptable solution.)

Has there been any recent info on this problem? I've searched on this problem, but any posts I've found seem to be very old from early in the year. Evidently the 1.2 update alone does not completely fix this.

Unfortunately, HRO would not exchange it as DOA even though I just purchased it on 11/19 and it's never worked. (They claim since it's installed that I need to work through Yaesu tech support.)

I'll call Yaesu on Monday, but is there any tips that I can try before then?

Cheers,
Rob

I just managed to lock mine up too.

I had just uploaded a new set of memory settings. It came up fine. I switched from the side that was scanning and tried to get the other side to scan. That's when it locked.

No combination of pulling power, disconnecting and reconnecting the head and doing the two-button combo can keep it from locking. It either locks on the callsign splashscreen or on the special settings screen.

I'm out of town for a week, but I will call Yaesu on Monday to see if they can offer advice. Thankfully, I'm on good terms with my local HRO.

I haven't had mine lockup in a very long time (since they figured out the initial problem). Let us know what you find out!

I've been working through email support. Last suggestion was to re-flash the firmware, which I did. It still locks up in the same spots. I even tried down-rev-ing to 1.1, same result.

I wish there were a more HW way of doing a hard reset. So frustrating to get to the special menu and have none of the buttons and knobs work.

I've been working through email support. Last suggestion was to re-flash the firmware, which I did. It still locks up in the same spots. I even tried down-rev-ing to 1.1, same result.

I wish there were a more HW way of doing a hard reset. So frustrating to get to the special menu and have none of the buttons and knobs work.

Can you send the radio back to Yaesu under warranty and have them take a look at the problem?

There's a very interesting thread on the ftm-350 yahoo group about lockups on 1.2.

The current theory is that using a memory/settings files from a pre-1.2 radio on a 1.2 radio is causing these lockups (when using RT Systems software).

The latest post on this is here: Yahoo! Groups

Personally, I was lucky in that I was able to solve my problem via re-flash / reset-all to 1.1, then the same to 1.2. I also use FTB350 to program it, so I didn't run into the purported RT Systems programming problem.

I love this radio now that it's working!

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated