• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Yaesu FTM-350 works well with APRSIS32 software

Moleculo

Ham Radio Nerd
Apr 14, 2002
Last night I tried getting the Yaesu FTM-350 to work with APRSIS32 for Windows to see if I could track the received APRS stations on the PC. It works good, and I even got it to gate the packets to the APRS-IS network!

Here's how you make it work:

• On the FTM-350, go to the APRS menu and select E16 COM PORT SETTING. Set the OUTPUT option to PACKET
  • After you've installed APRSIS32, set up a port for the radio. Go to "Configure, Ports, New Port". The type of port that you need to use with the FTM-350 is TEXT. This will be a RX only port. Make sure your COM port matches your radio interface and the speed matches the radio and PC's setting. Give it a name (I called mine FTM-350) and save it.
  • In APRSIS32, make sure the new COM port is active by going to "Enables, RF Ports". Make sure your COM port name is checked.
  • By Default APRSIS32 will show you all of the activity in your area that it is receiving from the APRS-IS server. If you want to just see what the radio is receiving, go to "View, RF" and select "ALL". Just make sure that "View, ALL" is not selected.
That's it! You should start seeing stations show up on the map very quickly. If you want to gate the APRS packets to the APRS-IS network, you'll need to register your callsign on APRS-IS and get a password. You then put that information in the General configuration for APRSIS32. Make sure the APRS-IS option is checked under "Enables" menu. To make sure it's working, you can check the iGate log.

If you need a password for APRS-IS, you can get one here: KG4NRC's APRS Pass Calculator

Enjoy!

Last night I tried getting the Yaesu FTM-350 to work with APRSIS32 for Windows to see if I could track the received APRS stations on the PC. It works good, and I even got it to gate the packets to the APRS-IS network!

Here's how you make it work:

• On the FTM-350, go to the APRS menu and select E16 COM PORT SETTING. Set the OUTPUT option to PACKET
  • After you've installed APRSIS32, set up a port for the radio. Go to "Configure, Ports, New Port". The type of port that you need to use with the FTM-350 is TEXT. This will be a RX only port. Make sure your COM port matches your radio interface and the speed matches the radio and PC's setting. Give it a name (I called mine FTM-350) and save it.
  • In APRSIS32, make sure the new COM port is active by going to "Enables, RF Ports". Make sure your COM port name is checked.
  • By Default APRSIS32 will show you all of the activity in your area that it is receiving from the APRS-IS server. If you want to just see what the radio is receiving, go to "View, RF" and select "ALL". Just make sure that "View, ALL" is not selected.
That's it! You should start seeing stations show up on the map very quickly. If you want to gate the APRS packets to the APRS-IS network, you'll need to register your callsign on APRS-IS and get a password. You then put that information in the General configuration for APRSIS32. Make sure the APRS-IS option is checked under "Enables" menu. To make sure it's working, you can check the iGate log.

If you need a password for APRS-IS, you can get one here: KG4NRC's APRS Pass Calculator

Enjoy!

What cable did you use to connect the PC to the FTM-350. Thanks

RT System cable will work right? Also do I need the FGPS Module to do aprs via base + pc?

I think the RT systems cable should work fine; I can't see why not, unless they added a chip to the cable to make it only work with their software. You don't really need the gps module for base use because you can just punch in your static coordinates.

I think the RT systems cable should work fine; I can't see why not, unless they added a chip to the cable to make it only work with their software. You don't really need the gps module for base use because you can just punch in your static coordinates.

OK good to know thanks.

Now I need to read the dedicated APRS manual.

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk 2

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated