• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Yaesu FTM-350AR

I have a 350R which needs the firmware update. I'd really like to use my Nuvi 350 which supports NMEA and has a mini-usb data port on the side of it. Anyone know what cable I can use (gtrans sort of) that will connect mini-usb to 8 pin mini-din?

Spoke to the GTRANS people and their latest firmware works with the 350AR and Nuvi 350, you just need to adapt it yourself. So you get the GPS data cable for your GPS, The GTRANS cable, the yaesu serial cable for the radio, and wire them up properly.

You will then see moving waypoints etc on your Nuvi 350, or so I'm told.

He said in the coming weeks they are working on a 1 cable solution for the Yaesu 350AR though,so I'm waiting on that myself. Otherwise the cost of the cables alone becomes fairly hefty.

Yeah when I talked to him he told me in my order to ask for the 8 pin 350R end and he'd make it for me. So I just ordered the sub-D GTRANS cable and added the comment for get it changed. Fingers crossed!

Seems to be pretty good group over there. If it works out I'm going to do a good bit of advertising for them since no one offers it yet and everything else is for a D-710A. If I were you I'd do the same, good word of mouth. He told me if it all worked out he'd sell it as a regular item on the website.

Ya I definitely will.

I just placed my order as well so we'll see how it goes.

I just checked the local electronics shop and they do have 8-minidin so if he is unable to do that for me I'm sure I could make it work.

I know the cable itself works as someone over on yahoo groups has got a working setup going.

Yahoo! Groups

Good luck!

-VE7JID

I guess they are back ordered on the mini-usb plugs, so might be a while :(

Ah well got my Garmin 350 in the mail today, $50 shipped from ebay.

ok so i am still learning all this APRS Stuff.... if you connect your nuvi does it show all the other aprs stations around you on the screen or does it just provide the gps info for your radio to beacon out?
Thanks

Ya if you have the right cables, it will show the position of anyone you recieve on your GPS. The plan is for my and my friends to use it when camping and 4x4ing to keep track of each other. If i were to find a great camp site nestled away in the woods,he could follow my aprs beacon to reach me if he came later etc.

Should be fun! Just waiting on that cable to get it going.

ok so i am still learning all this APRS Stuff.... if you connect your nuvi does it show all the other aprs stations around you on the screen or does it just provide the gps info for your radio to beacon out?
Thanks

I'm also interested in connecting a Garmin Nuvi 350 to my Yaesu FT-350R.

For the folks who ordered the cable - once you connect everything up, would you mind posting some comments about the cable, setup etc.?

I'll wait until then before I spend the money on a cable.

Thanks!

I have the 1.3 update and when I set it to monoband my radio does not beacon or receive packets from other stations.... I have the APRS set up on the left I have a lock of 7 sat's. Any ideas as to what the issue is?

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.