• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Yaesu FTM-350AR

I'm contemplating buying the FTM-350AR, but the limited integration to external GPS devices has me thinking that a d710A might be a better choice. Finding out that my existing GPS solution (a Nuvi 750) would fit right in with the FTM-350AR + GTRANS cable would be excellent.

Anyone tried other Nuvi devices?

I've heard a lot of this and that but nothing firm other than the Nuvi 350. I'd be curious as well. Wouldn't mind having something with a bigger screen if it compatable with my GTRANS

I also purchased a FTM-350R a while ago, and am just getting around to installing the radio in my truck before winter. From what I've read, seems like a lot of capability once you work out the interfacing issues with various devices.

In the dash I have a Kenwood DNX9960 with built in Garmin GPS. However, I couldn't find a way to interface the Kenwood/Garmin GPS to the Yaesu. Therefore, I added the optional FGPS-2. The Kenwood has standard color A/V inputs. I would love to find a way to use the Yaesu's data to display mapping and the location of other APRS stations on the Kenwood's display.

Any Ideas?

I use to do a lot of packet years ago, but I am just getting my feet wet in APRS, so I really don't have a good grasp on how all of this works.

73 Jim.

Consult with Argent Data System. They may be able to help you with the request. As long as the Garmin unit is cabable of NMEA data transfer

I'll do that, thanks. I am still trying to determine whether there is any feasible way to use the built in Garmin in the Kenwood for display purposes. From what I've read, it will accept way point data from a PC via a mini USB on the rear of the unit. However, I am unsure if this data is NMEA or some other format.

FTM-350AR

Just to clarify, you are receiving waypoints on your NUVI 350 by integrating the Argent Data Open Tracker 2? And the GTRANS Cable? Are there any settings that need to be changed on the radio or plug and play? Turn the aprs modem on and watch it go?

Yeah it's pretty much plug and play. Just have to change the settings to allow the GPS data to go through the plug in the back of the radio. Easy to change, and make sure you update the radio's software to the current release.

Thank you for the quick response. And thank you to everyone who has put information about this radio on the forum. I have learned alot, I have searched through the FTM 350 pages and I dont see any mention in here or in the manual and maybe it because it is not possible. However ill pose the question is it possible to set a filter to only rx a beacon from certain stations? Like a favorites list? And if it isn't possible from the radio does the Open Tracker and Nuvi make that possible? Thanks in advance

I know you can add specific callsigns in that will alert you differently from any other callsign. Haven't tried to block out all but the specific ones but I know you can filter out certain kinds of stations by type and distance.

Is viewing APRS data on a separate GPS unit worth it?

Viewing APRS waypoints on a map is definitely worth it. It is nice to be able to see where everyone is at. Depending on the device, you can also click on them and communicate with them. A separate device could also have a better keyboard for texting. Since they are waypoints, you can probably travel right to them using the GPS for navigation.

If they have weather data, you can see weather reporting stations.

I need to learn more about Yaesu and Kenwood new features....this is real cool stuff.

If you have the APRS set to beacon, it will still beacon in the background. Tried it out, and it still received packets and beaconed in the background.

Can you beacon in the background (sub-band?), and still use 2m in the foreground (main band)?

The one disadvantage my current APRS radio has is consuming my 2m band, and I can't use 2m for anything else. So I'd like the radio to beacon on 2m while I'm monitoring and chatting on the 2m repeater on my drive home. Doesn't have to be simultaneous, just as long as the main band has transmit priority over the beacon.

Jake

Can you beacon in the background (sub-band?), and still use 2m in the foreground (main band)?

The one disadvantage my current APRS radio has is consuming my 2m band, and I can't use 2m for anything else. So I'd like the radio to beacon on 2m while I'm monitoring and chatting on the 2m repeater on my drive home. Doesn't have to be simultaneous, just as long as the main band has transmit priority over the beacon.

Jake

Yes. This is how I operate mine.

Is there something special about the Garmin Nuvi 350 to allow seeing the waypoints? Or can this be done on any NMEA GPS that can receive waypoints with the right cable?

How do you manage all the waypoints being sent to the Garmin Nuvi? I imagine 1000's of waypoints being stored and shown on the GPS; some old and some new. Or what if I want both APRS waypoints and POI at the same time?

Has anyone done a YouTube video showing how this works?

Jake

well after owning the kenwood tmd710a and i just got my yaesu ftm-350ar/ae i can say this yaesu is far far better then the tmd710a it has loads more options and much easier to operate. i didnt get the cable to program either radio. the yaesu was very very easy to program.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated