• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

YAESU MH-59 Mic RFI NIGHTMARES!

rfoverlord said:
Bill, forget this,
AudioShockwav wrote:
Bill,
I can tell you are VERY upset by all of this, The only way to get through this is to very quickly pack up all of your Yaesu radios, and send them to me, I will take care of them for you.
As soon as they are on the UPS truck to me you will feel so much better!
Hey no need to thank me, that is what friends are for.
Jeff

I am much closer and could have saved you a bunch in shipping so next time just send it to me.73 :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

OK, since you guys are being so sympathetic to HH. :roll: I'll offer to make him feel even better. 8) Instead of sending to Jeff or anyone else. Next time send the Yaesus to me and I'll pay the shipping. ;) ;) ;) :naughty :naughty :naughty :scter :scter :scter :gdlf :gdlf :gdlf

There, now I'm sure Bill feels much beter now that we're all willing to offer our help albeit with alittle self-serving undertones. :rknrl :rknrl :rknrl

Hi,
I have just got myself an MH-59 mic for my ft857d and it works well on VHF or UHF but found out about the rf feedback on HF. I really want to use the rig mostly for HF. Have not found a solution for the prolem yet. The rig works very well with the mic that came along with it. I will be trying to find a solution for the feedback as I am sure there is someone out there capable of solving this issue. As it is it is money down the drain if I cannot use the MH-59 on all the bands........

I just don't understand how you guys can do that sort of thing! I mean, offering to pay the shipping? Come ON! No self respecting beggar would do that. There are standards you know. Ought'a be ashamed... besides, I'M the one doing that stuff here!
- 'Doc

don't get your hopes up, it don't work anyway...

I have had zero RF issues with my 857D and the remote mic, but the audio on the 59 is even worse than the stock mic.

I knew that mic was not great when I got mine, I paid $20 for it used. I only keep it in the Jeep as a spare and to make programming the rig a bit easier if I travel and need to stick a list of repeaters in more easily.

I still really like my 857D for the money vs an Icom 7000 that is twice the price, it still shines very brightly. It isn't in the same class for comparison at all. A 7000 vs a Kenwood TS2000 is a more fair comparison. Those are both great rigs too.

Just wait until the Icom mic PTT switch craps out, or you find out that you need to send it off to be modded to get the best audio out of that one too ;-). All rigs have their sore points.

It has been brought to my attention that my audio is muffled,trusting the source on audio report i was told that you can put a small hole in plastic bubble (on mic). The mic is a MH-31,rig is a ft-857 non D is there any other mods that can be done?

OK thanks guys,i'm not giving up on HM-31 yet. I'll keep checking around for a mod that wont cost any moola. Otherwise i'll start looking at different mics.

On edit: Yeah Ron the reviews for this mic don't look to good.

Yaesu FT-867D & MH-59

Some folk blame bias settings for the problem, however, mine checked out ok!
The MH-59 is the culprit, fitting two clip on ferrites at either end had no effect, but gripping the mic lead tightly by hand my body capacitance fixed the problem, no more RF feedback. Even using an antenna with a balun isolator, balanced coax and very low swr the MH-59 would misbehave, into a dummy load there was no problem, and using the MH-31 converted into an electret no problem whatsoever. I haven't figured out a fix as yet but will be looking at better quality screened cable and additional internal filtering in the mic itself.
The audio quality is better than the standard MH-31, the China made versions have a problem with the mic element changing impedance, the result no TX audio, so a new element or converting to electret are the options available.

Bill I love my 857 and my 897 rigs' Unfortunately I also made the mistake of purchasing that expensive remote mic without researching it first I got the the mic which wasn't cheap and it also is horrible on both radios horrible audio all scratchy and garbled. It now its in a box of spare mics I am gonna try it on my ft-450 and if it sounds ok I'll use it on that radio eventhough the functions won't all work atleast I'll get some use out of it. Well if it even works at all even on that rig.

I seen there's a cheaper mic I believe its a MH36 it doesn't have all the bells and whistles but does have the keypad for direct frequency entery and they are supposed to be fine. All in all I love my yaesu radios they are trouble free and should kick myself in the @$$ for not doing research on reviews before purchasing the stupid mic because I research and Eham everything I am looking at purchasing LMAO!!

Yaesu FT-857D & MH-59

I managed to resolve the feedback problem with the MH-59.
In the car Yaesu suggest connecting the negative power lead to the battery terminal, I cut the negative lead and fuse holder off, soldered a lug on and connected to the chassis. I then grounded the rig via the mounting bracket and the result was no RF feedback even with the mic gain at 100%, audio reports were clean and very clear with no distortion products.
In the shack the same solution was applied with excellent results!

And wouldn't you know it, I then found another solution online:
Yaesu MH-59 RFI Fix
Although I had no need to I fitted the core to the MH-59, so thanks to Dean AE7Q for posting his RFI fix.

Hello from Germany,

I have the same problem with the MH 59 on FT 857 D
I tried to put in a ferrit as in the link and several more ferrits on all cables ^^

I am using the ATAS 120A as antenna, UHF/VHF no problems, 15m no problems, good modulation but on 10m it doesnt work.

I can not test it on 80m/160 with this antenna, 40m / 12m not possible because I am not allowed to use this bands with my license.

I had this problem also with an OUTBACK 3000 antenna on 10/15/80m
and with the HUSTLER on 15m and 10m

So are there any new recommendations to fix the problem ?

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.