• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Yaesu VX 8R APRS help

Pretty sure. I've had one or two people tell me they sent me messages...I told them the SSID to use. I've also tried numerous times to send messages to myself from Findu and openaprs and know for sure that the SSID is correct in those cases. I'm wondering though, if I'm logged into openaprs, and a message come to me, if the call-SSID I use for openaprs is the same as on my radio, does the message necessarily make it to my radio, or will it be considered delivered when it gets to openaprs?

Thanks...Win

Pretty sure. I've had one or two people tell me they sent me messages...I told them the SSID to use. I've also tried numerous times to send messages to myself from Findu and openaprs and know for sure that the SSID is correct in those cases. I'm wondering though, if I'm logged into openaprs, and a message come to me, if the call-SSID I use for openaprs is the same as on my radio, does the message necessarily make it to my radio, or will it be considered delivered when it gets to openaprs?

Isn't the point of the SSID so that you CAN differentiate between YOUR different "stations"? Ie. so you can set your HT to 7 and your mobile rig to 9 and your internet "station" to 10. So then you'd be logged into findu as callsign-10 and send your message to callsign-7 and vice versa. Have you tried that? From what you said above it sounds like you're using the SAME SSID from each station, which I do believe is a problem. It's not for radio-to-radio tests, though, because a transmitting HT isn't listening and doesn't know to get confused.

--Donnie

I believe I have my SSID nonsense straightened out, but it didn't seem to help with receiving messages when I'm at home. I suspected that the igate I go through might not be directing from the internet to RF. I contacted the operator and he checked and assured me that it is. I have to go through a digipeater to hit the igate. Will the igate direct a message back to me via the digipeater? Again, I can send messages from home, I have just not been able to receive them at home. I drive to work about 25 miles from home and am able to send and receive messages there (different igates and digipeaters). Being relatively new to APRS, I'm having trouble understanding what the difference might be. Thanks - Win

Now, if I could figure out why I don't receive anything, I'll be all set. Any other suggestions are welcome.

I have the same problem. However, when I send message to my self I receive it right away. I have been trying to send messages through an iPhone app called "iBCNU", but no luck. I've read that it has to do something with the #19 MSG Group in the APRS menu. The manual sucks pretty hard at explaining what and how to do that. But it filters the incoming messages and only lets through messages from stations that are added in the MSG Group. I haven't found anything that explains how to add a station/group or whatsoever. If anyone here knows anything about this, please share your knowledge.

Thanks

I can send messages to myself too...from the VX-8DR. I've also tried iBCNU, but never get the messages. My #19 setting is ALL*****. I was under the impression that that setting lets everything through. Maybe not. As I mentioned, I can receive messages when I leave this area, so I'm thinking I have some difficulty specific to here, but I don't know enough at the moment to debug it any further.

Win

Ok,
Do you know any other apps or websites that can APRS messages? I need to know if its app related or not. Maybe you can send a hello to EB7CA-1.

thanks

Last edited:
I sent you a note from iBCNU last night. Send me a note at wheagy@gmail.com and let me know what time you'll have your radio on, and I can try to send a msg from my radio. I'm eastern time zone, US.

Win

Moleculo thanks for saving my sanity! I had sent my Vx-8 down for the upgrade and hadn't used the APRS since it came back. Had to use a work vehicle today so I tossed my 8 in and couldn't anything to show up. Stopped a couple times to make sure I had all the setting and all were as before. Did the quick scan here on the forum, and bingo your suggested fix did the trick, as always thanks for your wonderful input on this site.

Bryant
W7BDB

Hello
I bought yaesu vx-8dr
I'm in love with this radio
What is Aprs?
In my country there are no amateur radio forum
Please explain how I work with Aprs?
I am a beginner
Excuse my English is not good

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated