• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Yaesu VX-8r mic / gps cable pinout

Moleculo

Ham Radio Nerd
Apr 14, 2002
Here is the pinout information for the Yaesu VX-8r speaker/mic & gps connector on the top of the radio. The connector on the VX-8r is the same as the Yaesu FTM-10 series mobile radio. This means you can use the Yaesu CT-M11 cable to wire the connector to whatever you desire. This chart shows the pinout for the connector, the pin function, and the associated wire color for the CT-M11 cable.

<TABLE border=1><TBODY><TR><TH>Pin No.</TH><TH>CT-M11 Wire Color</TH><TH>VX-8 Series</TH></TR><TR><TD>1</TD><TD>Orange</TD><TD>MIC/PTT</TD></TR><TR><TD>2</TD><TD>Gray</TD><TD>3.3V</TD></TR><TR><TD>3</TD><TD>Brown</TD><TD>SP OUT</TD></TR><TR><TD>4</TD><TD>Green</TD><TD>GPS TXD (CONTROL)</TD></TR><TR><TD>5</TD><TD>Blue</TD><TD>GPS RXD (NMEA)</TD></TR>
<TR><TD>6</TD><TD>Red</TD><TD>GND</TD></TR><TR><TD>7</TD><TD>Black</TD><TD>SP SEL (CONTROL)</TD></TR>
</TBODY></TABLE>

The attached conenctor diagram is from the perspective of looking at the radio. If you put a 22K resistor between pins 7 and 2, the internal speaker will be disabled, which is probably what you need to do if you are going to use the cable for programming.

Attachments

• vx8-connector.jpg
    vx8-connector.jpg
    7.1 KB · Views: 971

Goodie. Is the nmea line rs232 serial or ttl serial or low voltage serial. probably 3.3V TTL. any knowledge of the data rate? I wonder which GPS module they are using. That would explain it all.

Probable manufacturer of GPS module

I think the module is produced by Positions, Inc., a subsidiary of Chiyoda Electronic Company. Found this (probable predcesor of the unit in the Yaesu module)

http://www.cec-chiyoda.co.jp/info/GPS_Rev1.pdf which lists the GPS72(B)038 model number.

They're on the GPS 75 series, so I'll poke around and see if I can find a datasheet for the GPS72(C)042.

Happy trails.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.