• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Yaesu VX-8r Review

Yes I've tried the Bluetooth with both my Callpod Dragon and Jawbone Gen1 headsets and it works well. It's great with the Dragon because it can be paired to both my phone and radio at the same time. The BH-1 and BH-2 Yaesu headset are still not compatible at this time (got that directly from Yaesu Tech. support).

I wish they had of included a GPS off option in the GPS menu, that would have been great for battery life, and much better than having to remove the GPS module. May they can add this in a firmware update.

If anyone is considering getting one spring for the high cap battery, in fact I'm looking to get another one (and I'm not going to pay $110 for it either).

Hutch, have you tried scanning the radio from a bluetooth computer to see if there are any other bluetooth services available? I'm guessing not, but it doesn't hurt to dream.

I hadn't, but I did, no joy. There doesn't seem to be anything. That would have been nice if you could connect it via BT to your computer to program. That sure would have made the guys work at RT Systems much easier. It will be nice when they have the programming software and cable out.

Has anybody here purchased from anything form Hong Kong Digital on ebay?

It has been reported that the bluetooth from Yaesu BH1 is NOT COMPATIBLE with the VX-8R

NICE!

AES Prices

Yes I read that and wondered. One of the online stores did mark them that way on their site. My plan so far is to use my barely-used bluetooth headset and maybe get some use out of it. Mainly for RX though. I think Yaesu has another bluetooth radio or two and the headsets work that. Knd of a glitch to have it fail with the new uber-HT though!

I am a little puzzled as to why they won't work considering Bluetooth is a standard, and the radio works with other Bluethooth headsets, why do the Yaesu headsets not meet the standard?

Programming Memmory Bands

Hello All, I am a new use of the Vx8 as well and I have to say it is the best radio Ive ever had (of course its my first). Im having a problem understanding how to program the Memmory bands though, I can't seem to get anything to stick. I've programmed multiple memmories into the memmory bank and I've figured out how to selectively scan them (set with 55: MEMORY SKIP >only<) but I want to be able to get 2 or 3 frequiencies into a single band for my Search and Rescue efforts. When Im out in the field in that capacity, I want just those three to scan continously and not pick up all the other channels I have memmorized. I could set the selective scan but I would have to go through each channel to do this every time. Can someone help with a simple explanation of the procedure of setting up the Memmory bands please? Thanks in advance. K0WIT

Can someone help with a simple explanation of the procedure of setting up the Memmory bands please?

You need to put the desired memories into a memory bank, and then just activate scanning on that bank. Start on page 53 of the manual and then look at page 67 for the scanning part.

Briefly: After programming the frequencies into memory, put the radio in memory mode on one of the frequencies you want assigned to your bank. Press and hold FW for 1/2 a second, then rotate the dial to select the new bank you want (use an unused one). Hit the FW briefly again. Do this for each of the 3 memories you want.

To scan them, go into memory mode, then hit the BAND button to go into bank mode. Now start the scanner. It will only scan memories in that band unless you decide to link bands together.

So how does this radio work as a scanner? Is it good?

Usually I'm scanning about 35-50 local PD/FD channels and sometimes marine. does this scanner work at least "ok" as a scanner? can anyone guess how many channels/sec it scans?

thanks

Yaesu Engineers have a sense of humor?

Has anyone noticed the Morse Code Message on the side of the radio? If you are looking at the front of the Radio.. rotate the antenna to the right and near the side of the radio by the Tx Button there are a seriese of bumps... I believe they are to let you find the buttons by feel... but look at what the bumps spell... Glad that the Engineers at Yaesu have a sense of humor... and I have to admit I am impressed with the fact that I remembered enough code to catch it... (y)

Attachments

• VX-8r Dirty.bmp
    900.1 KB · Views: 743
My call...

Of course the guy with the vanity sign W3CUM notices it first. :)

I know... Isn't it a great call... its was actually my Great Grandfather's way back in the day... and was surprisingly available when I got my Ticket..... VX-8r arrives tomorrow and I take my General and Extra the end of the month... LOTS of studying to do!

Has anyone noticed the Morse Code Message on the side of the radio

haha! I can just see the guys in engineering now giggling as they see if they can sneak it by management...

Usually I'm scanning about 35-50 local PD/FD channels and sometimes marine. does this scanner work at least "ok" as a scanner? can anyone guess how many channels/sec it scans?

thanks

FYI - It does scan "trunked" transmissions. I know in the Seattle area, all PD and FD departments use trunked radio system. Of course, you can monitor the freq's themselves, however the transmission "thread" will bounce to different freq's so you cant really follow the whole conversion (thread).

Hope this helps

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated