• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

yeasu 102

GunSlinger338

Feb 26, 2006
Around Tha Dome
anybody run a 102 on 11 meters AM ????

I am getting one of these radios for .....350 $$ the guy that owned it is no longer with us ..RIP,,,,so he cant tell me all the details
any way ,, i'd like to find out about it before I take her the money....if it will go on 11 meters i will keep it
if not ... I will sell it

looks like a bad boy radio...i'm buying it cause it looks COOL..and
I seen one go on E-BAy for around 500 $$

I am sure it will work on 27mhz. Not sure why anyone would want to. Decent performing radio most people use them on SSB.

It would have to be modified to work on 11m. Since it has tube finals it may not tune that well down near the bottom of the 11m band. I believe the 102 has three 6146B tubes in it rather than the usual pair and runs about 150 watts pep max. They sound very good on AM if it has the optional AM/FM board installed but it is such a nice radio to butcher. One thing to be wary of is they all had a big problem with relays failing and causing various functions to fail. Exact replacements are very rare.The FT-102 guru is Mal,NC4L.

the 102 can be modded for 11mtrs, the two i have seen that were modded had a diode matrix conversion with wires run to a switch on the rear panel,
i love the sound of the 102 on ssb and they aint no slouch on am either, popular with some on the superbowl:)

thanks guys.....think Mal,NC4L. would set it up for 11 meters ?? I do hold a license , but only a technician class,,,,I plan to up grade some day ,,so the radio could come in handy later..........but for now my HF experience is limited to 11 meters

Yup, NC4L will not alter a radio for 11m. Other reputable techicians will not do it either, as that would ruin their reputation.

One major issue with the FT-102 is a failure of the relays. Common problem with these radios, but there is a repair available.

Also, while I don't care what anyone does to their own radio equipment, I will say that if someone gets an older vintage ham radio that is unmodded, then please leave it that way and sell it someone that wants a radio in original condition. It is sad to see these old radios hacked up for use on CB, since usually a modern CB radio will outperform them.
I had to make repairs to the traces on my FT-101ZD because somewhere along the line, desoldering 10m crystals to install 11m crystals, then desolder the 11m crystals, some previous owner lifted 2 of the 4 10m through hole traces. What a mess.

And you do need the AM filters for those rigs to sound good on AM. Ham radios, by and large, are not that great on AM because there is not much AM operation on HF. So that is another consideration when looking at those older ham rigs.

If you want to run a tube rig, get an old tube CB radio off ebay, and if you want 100w, get an amplifier.
Lets try to save the old Yaesu's, Kewoods and Icoms that are left out there.

BTW...if you have Tech class license, you can operate SSB phone on 10 meters between 28.300 & 28.500.! Have some fun on the ham bands too.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.