• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Yes, one of those noobie questions and help posts

Streetglideok

Jan 11, 2010
Colorado
Wife and I did the deed last week and passed(whew). We're awaiting our technician callsigns as we speak. Here's my dilemna. Living in an apartment, it limits putting an antenna outside(in the lease). Would like to be able to communicate with the wife at times, but also would like a mobile in the vehicle for when we are in the mountains. So, get two hand helds for now, and get a mobile for the jeep? Get a hend held and a mobile, or? Unsure if I want to save money and get a 2m, or go dual band. On mobiles, have read a little on the Icom 2200, and 208H, and Yaesu 2900, and 7800/7900. What I read, we have some great repeaters in the area, nice and high up if that matters. Feel free to swarm me with info and PMs as needed!

I would like to welcome you and the XYL (Wife) to the wonderful world of Amateur radio. I use a Arrow antenna J-Pole and RG8x coax as a inside antenna during T-storms. It works quite well. I can hit repeaters 30+ mile with a 5 watt HT. More if I run a more powerful radio such as my FT-7800, or FT-2900. So it may help you with the no antenna clause. The Wouxun HT's are very good Dual banders at a great price. The mobile radios you named are very good. But I run Yaesu's because they cost less than the Kenwood & Icom's. Check to see what band is used more in your area (2m, or 70cm) or both. Then you decide which type of radio you need. For mobile antenna I run Jetstream JTM-7505 & JTM-7905 from R&L Electronics. They are re-badged Diamond (SG-7500 & SG-7900) antennas at about 40% less. I would not use any glass mount antennas. And generally taller is better. Also you can usally find the Yaesu's on sale in the month of December. I got my FT-7800 new for $210 3 years ago. Let us know whatever you decide.

Congrats on passing the tests! Let us know when you get your callsigns and, and of course show us pics of your station as you put it together :)

You mentioned that you're in an apartment and can't put an antenna outside. Do you have a balcony that you can use? There are quite a few ways that you can disguise an antenna and avoid the wrath of the apartment manager. You might also be surprised at what you can do with an indoor antenna.

Where in CO are you located? In Denver there are a quite a few repeaters that you should be able to hit with HT's. Modest mobile setups will work even better. The radios you mentioned are all fine radios, but if at all possible, you need to get to an actual ham radio store or ham radio club to try out a few. Most of the basic 2m/440 radios offer similar features, so what you're looking for is the user interface that makes the radio the easiest to use for you. Everyone has their own opinion on "easy" so you need to try a few out.

BTW, I run a mobile in my Jeep. If you're looking for ideas for antenna mounts, make sure and post up about it ;)

If this hobby causes delimas maybe you should reconsider setting up a station in your building.

But if your dead set about it then buy the best and most for your dollar, if you do not you'll regret it.

Congrats on the tickets. (Your call signs should be in the FCC data base already. Look them up, and if they are on the web site, your legal)

I can't say enough about the Yaesu 2900. It has a better signal than my V8000(great radio too). I tested my 8800R, the 2900 and the V8000 in my mobile rig, with a repeater 35 miles away. I did not tell the guys which radio was which. I even hooked up my IC-7000 for the fun of it, and it could not match the 2900 signal.

100% vote on the 2900. Hard to beat for $159.95 delivered from HRO. No it does not have a cooling fan, but that has been no problem. I had a GSO with a repeater in the NC mountains, using 75 watts to get through, and the radio was warm, not hot. The majority of my memory is set on 10 watts.

Thanks guys. Mole, we do have a fairly enclosed back patio, on the ground floor, facing to the north. Gives us a view of the air force academy. We are south of denver, in colorado springs. If the weather isnt too severe wednesday, I may talk the wife into a road trip to HRO in denver. When I do put a mobile in the jeep, I may need some ideas. Its a Liberty, not the run of the mill wrangler,lol. Ive seen some mounted on the roof, and one mounted under the cowl below the windshield thus far. I like the 2900 as well, tbut the 2200 has my attention too, for a 2m. Curious as to whether a dual bander is really worth it out here or not. We do have repeaters on both bands, but I do not know which is active. I know, one day Ill want HF too, and be looking at a used 706 or 857 to add as well,lol.

The only advice I'd offer at this point is to not get too carried away to start with. You have plenty of time to make decisions, so take that time and do a lot of reading, checking, and comparing first.
Another good piece of advice is to get your hands on as many different radios as you can manage. HRO, or where ever. See which one(s) you are most comfortable with (AND your 'better half' too, naturally!).
Have fun.
- 'Doc

Congrats on the tickets. (Your call signs should be in the FCC data base already. Look them up, and if they are on the web site, your legal)

I can't say enough about the Yaesu 2900. It has a better signal than my V8000(great radio too). I tested my 8800R, the 2900 and the V8000 in my mobile rig, with a repeater 35 miles away. I did not tell the guys which radio was which. I even hooked up my IC-7000 for the fun of it, and it could not match the 2900 signal.

100% vote on the 2900. Hard to beat for $159.95 delivered from HRO. No it does not have a cooling fan, but that has been no problem. I had a GSO with a repeater in the NC mountains, using 75 watts to get through, and the radio was warm, not hot. The majority of my memory is set on 10 watts.

Callsign finally posted today on the FCC site. KD0PWN, wont be hard to remember.

When I do put a mobile in the jeep, I may need some ideas. Its a Liberty, not the run of the mill wrangler,lol. Ive seen some mounted on the roof, and one mounted under the cowl below the windshield thus far.

Comet and Diamond have some mounts that may interest you. They go in between the door and the body and can be used on the rear hatch or even one of the passenger doors. They are quite strong.

Here's an image of one option:

HD-5M.jpg

I have the Icom 2200H in the house and teh Yeasu 2900 in my mobile....hands down I like the 2900 better....I will be retiring the 2200H for another 2900 in a few months

If all you are after is a single band radio I would have to say go with the Yeasu 2900

Comet and Diamond have some mounts that may interest you. They go in between the door and the body and can be used on the rear hatch or even one of the passenger doors. They are quite strong.

Here's an image of one option:

HD-5M.jpg

Ive seen those actually. When you run one, do you have to run a ground strap from the door, or whatever point you attach it to, to the chassis for a proper ground plane? Or am I babbling?lol

Ive seen those actually. When you run one, do you have to run a ground strap from the door, or whatever point you attach it to, to the chassis for a proper ground plane? Or am I babbling?lol

The little screws on that hold it on are tapered on the back side. The usually penetrate through the paint just enough to make contact with the bare metal. Many VHF/UHF mobile antennas do not require a ground plane, so check the specs on each antenna. Generally, the ones that are some type of phased array where one element is cophased over a 1/2 wave element do not require a ground plane. If you choose an antenna that does require ground and the mount is unable to provide sufficient contact with the metal, you will need to run a ground strap of some sort.

Aww makes sense. Ive seen Larsens, Comets, and Diamonds so far. I havent decided if I want to get a dual band or a single band, but to be safe, a 2m/70cm antenna would be the best bet right? Ive seen a variety of lengths as well, too. I would run the longest I can, but when I park in the car port, Im a little shy of clearance there. So would have to mount it at the base of the windshield, or just flip it down when I get home.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.