• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Yeticom Optima MK3 Mobile

SMILEX2692002

Oct 26, 2011
Looking for info on this radio. Anyone have the newest version of the Optima?
All of the videos I found are the MK2 or older. I also looked for threads on this forum and only found info on the MK2 or older version.
According to the website the radio has been improved from the previous MK2 version.
yeticomnz.com

Well, after checking the webpage out, I guess I had version III. I remember Dave telling me that they changed the filter selection knob back to the clarifier instead of the VFO dial. Also, something with FM deviation (I forgot that fast).

Came in a version II box though.

Is it really worth the high price?
I have had Magnum 257s before and didn't really care for them.
This just looks like a much better radio than any Magnum 257 made.

I liked the one I had. It was trouble free and had a good receiver. Had great audio reports.

I don't think it was worth $375 shipped. There are other options out there at that price, or wait and save a few coins and definitely get something better.

There are very passionate Optima owners out there that will disagree, but I honestly didn't think it was worth it.

I will probably get the radio back from the guy I sold it to. We are in negotiations over a bartering deal that will bring it back to my shack. He needs rod bearings and timing belt changed on his car.

its what the 257 should have been.the new 257hp was a mistake no fan damn thing cant even be pushed to its potential.

I don't think it was worth $375 shipped. There are other options out there at that price, or wait and save a few coins and definitely get something better.

HOW MUCH??? id be better of getting an RCI 2970N2.

Reactions: rabbiporkchop
Is that good or bad?

Good I guess.

I only had to install a timing belt kit. He was told that his rod bearings were bad, but I told him that the noise was just piston slap. Took me 3 hours to change the belt, water pump, idler, cam and crank seals.

Local garage wanted $550 bucks, so we're both happy. I just can't crawl around like I used to.

Looks like a good radio for the mobile. Like the small size. Its just to bad they are so expensive. If they were priced more the the 257hp I would get one for my mobile. I still have my old Magnum 257 bracket mounted in my car. Wonder if the Optima would fit that bracket?

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?