• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Yeticom Optima MKIII Mobile

KsKev

Jul 24, 2014
Southeast Kansas
Hey everyone....
Just wondering where a person can BUY a New Yeticom Optima MKIII Mobile??
Searched the web with no luck, I seen the reviews and says you can purchase
one from http://www.survival-systems.com
But when I go to that site and go to "contact us" to order, it always comes back as a error.
So, any suggestions on this web site not working, or am I doing something wrong?
And if they are no longer in business, where can I purchase one of these radios?
Thanks for any and all info!

They are in business and as a matter of fact, The owner I beleive is a member here, look up member
Yeti Communications LTD. Send him a PM from here. They are based out of New Zealnd and I know he is still in business or pretty sure anyway.
Send email direct from the homepage listed one and don't click on contact us if possible. Try both ways anyway. A PM and Email. You are getting a lot more for your money by doing this. JMHO.

I was also looking to order what is the cost plus shipping to the USA and is is safe to order and ship to the USA or will customs reject or hold etc. thanks

asked the guy to provide link that was "faulty" but has not got back to me yet .
and yes still in business lol

I was also looking to order what is the cost plus shipping to the USA and is is safe to order and ship to the USA or will customs reject or hold etc. thanks

not one lost or rejected by customs anywhere in the 6 years we have been selling the yeticom optima..in fact in the 10 years yeti has been in operation not one package lost our shipper is one of the best ...tracked/insured and in most cases depending on end forward shipper signed for .
"Grogan" if it was you that emailed today i have emailed you back with details
if you wish to discuss this farther please do so by email not via the forum will be happy to talk

i rarely check PM's on forums and as below do not subscribe to threads so yes email is best way to contact me
thanks for the interest
Mike

Sorry Mike. Was just trying to get these fellas sent your way!! They will be happy they did!!

Mike will put the Yobbo touch on it, and it will rock the air waves.;):ROFLMAO::D
Seriously though, Mike knows what he is doing and will have the radio setup top notch when you get it.

Reactions: tecnicoloco
Well, got one on order (Yeticom Optima MKIII )..... yeah!!!!!
Now one more inquiry I have for the use of this radio.
I'll be using it mostly for a base...... so which base antenna would be
a good match for the frequencies that this radio covers?
Thanks in advance for any recommendations.

I don't re
Well, got one on order (Yeticom Optima MKIII )..... yeah!!!!!
Now one more inquiry I have for the use of this radio.
I'll be using it mostly for a base...... so which base antenna would be
a good match for the frequencies that this radio covers?
Thanks in advance for any recommendations.

I don't really know of any antenna other than a Log periodic that will suitably cover the 5.5mhz 24.5 thru 29.995 mhz range of the Optima.
Best work on something for 10 and 11 and a separate antenna for the 12m band.

All right then.......that's what I'll shoot for!
Looking at getting the Sirio Tornado.
It had good reviews, I do have a "A99" but wanted
something a little more substantial!
Thanks Magnuman!

You'll either need 2 antennas like stated by magnuman, or get a decently braodbanded antenna and use an external antenna tuner. The sirio Vector 4000 is a good vertical antenna with a 2mhz or so bandwidth with a 2:1 VSWR Max. I've one up at 26ft. approx. to the base of the antenna and it will tune from 26. MHz to 28. MHz. Now if you had a decent antenna tuner, say something like an LDG Z-100P. Cost is about $140, but you can use most any regular 10-11 meter antenna and it will tune to wherever you want to go with the optima MK3. This is probably the easiest solution. You can get manual antenna tuners for less I'm sure, but stay away fo from MFJ if possible. Just not heard too many good things about them as a whole, other than their analyzer's being okay. The analyzer I use seems to work fine for what I use it for. But a tuner is a bit different. I've heard good things about the LDG tuners and they seem to get good reviews as well. Also check EBay for maybe a used one. For the money, at just over $130 I'd just spring for a new one and the best antenna setup you can afford or can put up. The A99 is an okay antenna, if you're going to go that route get the IMAX 2000 instead. With the IMAX 2000 and an external antenna tuner, whether it be manual or auto type, you should have no issues getting 10-12 meters with a good vswr. It may come at a cost of efficiency, but it will keep the radio happy and you won't be too far off with VSWR anyway to kill your efficiency that much I wouldn't think. The IMAX 2000 should come preset from factory for 27mhz. Just leave it be as is if you have good readings from the get go and use the tuner to get to the other places you want to go. JMHO as to what to get. Hope some of it might help. And remember this, your antenna system is the most important thing besides having a radio itself. Without a good antenna setup you might as well just be throwing money away. Get good coax like Belden, times microwave, Andrew, Commscope, Judd wire, Davis RF, and so on. LMR400 or LMR240. I know it's overkill but it's worth it IMO. You can get rg8x and most likely it will work fine depending on the length of the run. Keep it to under 100ft and you'll be fine with some good rg8x or lmr240 or lmr400. I use Andrew's version of LMR400. Good coax. Also use 123 wireless lmr240 and it seems to be a solid coax. Great shielding and has UV protection, as does the Andrew LMR400 type coax I use in conjunction with good amphenol connectors. Again, this is JMHO, some may disagree, but I would spend as much time, effort, and purchase quality coax and connectors as well as the best antenna I could afford.

Last edited:
Reactions: hotrod

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.