• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Yeticom Optima MKIII Mobile

The only issue with the sirio tornado is that it's not a true DC ground antenna. It's transformer DC grounded. A bit different and you might want to read up on his before purchasing. You can easily mod the tornado to be a true DC grounded antenna, but it's not one out of the box. Look at the sirio 827, 2016, Gain Master, or even the vector 4000. Spend the extra bit of cash and you will be happy you did. The tornado is a great Antenna and I have owned one and made many, many contacts with it, but it's a lightweight antenna that is prone to damage from high winds. Mine saw some decent storms where i live, but for the most part the antenna is tucked behind enough large oak trees to block most wind. I'll say this, the winds here between yesterday and today are about 20mph sustained winds currently with some good gusts!! My vector 4000 has handled it very well so far!!! It appears Sirio did a good job of beefing up the joints. We have had some good gusts that I would say hit 40-60mph at the top of my mast at times, antenna might lean about a foot at the top, but it comes right back to center as soon as the gist calms. The sustained winds don't seem to be affecting the antenna either as it stays pretty straight beleive it or not. Again, might have you might want to look at the 827 or 2016 as well. Just make sure you accommodate the antennas weight properly!!!! And most of all, be safe and take your time. Getting help is another thing that may be required!! Anyway, sorry for the text wall. Hope some of the early morning mess I wrote makes sense and is all correct!! Have a good one and Happy Thanksgiving To All!!!

Sounds like the IMAX 2000 with the GPK and a good ATU will get you going!! Don't forget to grab a 1:1 balun or RF isolator, and also an Low Pass Filter at the radio end of the coax as well. This will keep the neigbors happy!

Imax 2000 google imax 2000 read eham reviews many pages of reviews working 21 mhz trhu 29 mhz no antenna coupler required

Reactions: 222DBFL
Wavrider knows more about antennas than I do, but I pretty much said the same. Would a good external auto tuner help some wavrider? The optima mk3 has MOSFET transistors obviously and they don't like a high VSWR. Anything over 1.5:1 I wouldn't use it full power. JMO.
From the optima mk3 manual.

VSWR

Before use, it is important to determine the antenna system’s VSWR (voltage standing wave ratio). First, make sure the SWR bridge (meter) is in good working order and is calibrated.

To ensure your radio is performing properly the VSWR should never exceed 1.5 to 1. Never transmit on any antenna system where the VSWR exceeds 1.8 to 1. This will stress the output stage and could destroy the RF transistors; this type of misuse and failure is not covered under warranty.Measure the VSWR at the center of the operating band.
Just want to point this out as to not have issues with the radio.
With that said, would it be feasible or even necessary for a decent antenna tuner?? Just curious. Thanks for any response.

Those are all good antennas, i have a tornado , A99. Out camping with the A99 i did great the band was wide open and very low noise , not something i see at home with it. My antenna of choice for 10& 11 meter is my homemade Moxon. The moxon is quieter and has some gain and is very light. I need to do a chart for how wide banded it is. Right now it's centered at 27.385 but will do most if not all of the 10m band. I have also made good contacts with vertical antennas with the moxon, last summer Exit13 and i talked a lot barefoot (conditions were good). I would switch between the tornado and moxon and the moxon would usually be 2s units better BUT not always.

F4639E5E-56A7-4DBF-9018-8243569AC2D6_zpsrc2uyn60.jpg

Very easy to make, hardest part is getting materials. You can also buy a metal version from DX engineering TBA has one and likes it. I'm not sure how much band it will cover. 73's

Wavrider knows more about antennas than I do, but I pretty much said the same. Would a good external auto tuner help some wavrider? The optima mk3 has MOSFET transistors obviously and they don't like a high VSWR. Anything over 1.5:1 I wouldn't use it full power. JMO.
From the optima mk3 manual.

I am not familier with the radio the op is using.

I do not know if it has a protection circuit that reduces output if the vswr is to high.

Most SS HF rigs have a tolerance for 2:1 vswr before it starts folding the power back.

Good point of using a tuner if the radio does not have vswr protection circuit.

I don't beleive it does. It an export radio. Well made, but I don't think they have vswr protection like a real HF radio. I don't think they do as I do have one of these radios and no where in the manual does it state it does have the protection. So a tuner might not be a bad idea.

Ok, that is a lot info here...... will take the advise.
Will research and look at prices ect. and make an informed
decision on it!
Thanks all for heading me down the right path!!!!
Hope ALL had a good Thanksgiving!!!

They are in business and as a matter of fact, The owner I beleive is a member here, look up member
Yeti Communications LTD. Send him a PM from here. They are based out of New Zealnd and I know he is still in business or pretty sure anyway.
Send email direct from the homepage listed one and don't click on contact us if possible. Try both ways anyway. A PM and Email. You are getting a lot more for your money by doing this. JMHO.
Try www.yeticomnz. it will take you there

Reactions: 222DBFL

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.