• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Your first CB? what year started? any other radio interest?

D

drifter 8291

Was just wondering what everyones first CB was. and what year started? and any other radio interest besides CB.. ..................................

Well I had been around CB since the middle 70s my father had one and also my brother had one I was only around 9 at the time so I didn't get to talk.....Years later divorced parents and also no one in the family into CB anymore I got My very first CB in 1986 one that I had found in a run down mobile home...It was a Pace 23 channel mobile ( I forgot what model) Had it in my car for about 2 months it worked so so .. My next radio is the one that I consider my first real radio , it was a AM Cobra 1000 base ..it preformed really well on my 5/8s ground plane, the next radio I got was about a year later and it was my first sideband..it was a President Washington with extra channels and unlocked clarifier..since then I have had many others that have come and gone.. Grant XL, Cobra 148 GTL, Cobra 29, Cobra 29 (Soundtracker WHICH I TOTALLY HATED AND WILL NEVER DARKEN MY DOOR EVER AGAIN LOL) Cobra 25, HR2510, SBC Console V , And Old Tube Courier 23 channel, Teaberry Mobil (forgot model), Cherokee 1000, and at least 6 or more that I have forgotten ....Since being bitten by the bug my interest has never really faded...what a great hobby..My current Radio Is back to a Cobra 148 GTL which I like a lot..My other interest is Shortwave, Had about 8 of those so far lol...current is a Sangean ATS - 909... I have also had a few scanners but am not really that much interested in scanning at the moment....

So lets hear what ya had and got?

</p>

Re: Your first CB? what year started? any other radio intere

Hmm, First radio..

My oldest brother had a friend in Jr High that was into radios and got him hooked up with a converted 9 channel tube set (former Marine Radio I think) back in 1973. He had a 12' tripod with a Shakespeare Big Stick on our 3 story house. I think the radio was 75w and he got out everywhere. I was hooked I couldnt wait to get my own.

My First radio..Besides the RS walkie talkie (Ch14) that I used to bother my next door neighbor (the whole neighborhood talked on Ch3) I used to 'splash' him to coming up to 14 so we could talk that was 1975.

Eventually My other brother got a 23 CH Trc23 (?) for his car and I put a Mag mount on the roof and a power supply to use it in the house.

I talked my Dad into buying a DAK III for his pickup and used it on a slide bracket to bring it in the house. I used to stay up all night talking all over in the driveway. I bought a $15 used 1/2wave

AS Polecat Ground plane and mounted it on the roof.

I bought a UTAC 1000 23 Ch Base from my neighbor, added a xtal box and started collecting radios and repairing and learning to mod them. My First good radio was a Cobra 135/a Base fully converted to 55 ch with SSB. ($225)

I had many microphones but bought a Turner Super Sidekick Microphone from a radio friend, I still have that mic working today. (been using it +25 years) I have bought D104s and A1104's and bunches of hand mics. I prefer the Turner. I have owned tons of radios, SBE Console II with a Siltronix VFO and a D104, Cobra 2000's (2), DAK X, Midland Phone Base, DAK IV Mobile, Cobra 138 Mobile with xtal box (55 Ch)and 50W amp with a 102" whip on my 10 speed bike(I was 16)! A Midland 79-893 SSB (104 Channels) Cobra 25XLR and 29LTD, TRC448 SSB mobile, Kris XL5. Antenna's ..2 Pole Cats, PDLII, Wilson Shooting Star, Several Big Sticks, 3 Antron 99's.

My current Radios are a RCI2950 (First Version) in my mobile with a Wilson 1000 Mag mnt, Sommerkamp TS2000(First Version) in the radio shed as a base on an Antron99, Several HR2510's, a Kenwood TS440, a Cobra 2000, a Uniden Grant(old style).

Thinking about moving the Antron off the Shed and onto the house and setting up the Kenwood for the winter.

I am sure there were many many others but those are the ones that stand out in my mind.

Rogerbird

</p>Edited by: <A HREF=http://p067.ezboard.com/bworldwidecbradioclub.showUserPublicProfile?gid=rogerbird1>Rogerbird1</A> at: 11/19/04 1:11 am

Re: Your first CB? what year started? any other radio intere

1989, I was 14 yrs old! First Radio, was a DAK MK9, with a golden eagle mic, an an old fugly groundplane antenna!!

" NO HEAT LIKE TUBE HEAT! "

</p>

FIRST CB?

My FIRST CB was a JOHNSON 100(6 channel)& it is how I became know as SIX-SHOOTER.Local CBER(ROOKIE)said I shot my mouth on all 6 channels so he named me SIX-SHOOTER! I was 6 years old at the time as well.My first BASE radio was a REALISTIC NAVAHO TRC-30A.I ended up with a TRAM D-201(hand wired)before I got out of CB in the EARLY 80's.Just bought another TRAM D-201(Hand wired)from a local SK estate.Have an UNMODED DAK MK IX as well along with a UNIDEN WASHINGTON in my HAM/CB shack.I have been a ham operator since 1984 & use ALL "ICOM" rigs(IC-756 PROII,IC-746 PRO,IC-208H, & an IC-T8A).I also have 4 yagis on my ft. ROHN 25 tower(Mosley TA-53M at 50 ft,M2 6M5X at 55 ft,Cushcraft 13B2 at 53 ft,& Cushcraft 215WB at 61 ft). I was just given a Wilson Shooting Star Yagi TODAY that I may put up on my second tower & then I will remove the PROTON 99 vertical. (y)

SIX-SHOOTER

My first C.B was ( or CBs ) was a pair of Cobra handhelds I got fo 10$ at a junk shop... Ever since I have been in the radio hobby...

T23

My first cb was a 23 channel Midland run off of a battery in my room with a Varmint XL350 and an astro plane .. I was 15 and thought I had the biggest raido on the air..lol

My first exposure to CB was a pair of 100mW walkie talkies on channel 14 my uncle gave me for my 12th b'day in 1973.

I was always experimenting with trying to get more range from them, so I added approx 36-40' (or so) of insulated wire from the walkie-talkie antenna, out the window, and to the top of the clothesline pole in our backyard. With that arrangement, I was able to work a base station about 1-2 miles away and he explained to me that CB was 4 watts and 23 channels & that most of the activity locally was on channels 11 and 6. Back then the truckers channel wasn't 19, it was channel 10. Also, SSB was on channel 16 & cb's were only 23 channels.

I went to Lafayette and got a pair of Ch11 xtals and a pair of Ch6 xtals and put them in each of the walkie talkies (one on 11, the other on 6). While at Lafayette I saw a 5W 6 Channel mobile rig called the Micro 66. It happened to use the same size xtals that my walkie talkie used. It was $69 (or so) at the time, which was BIG MONEY then (for a 12 y.o. with a paper route!) So, I began saving my money.

A couple of month's later, I bought the Micro 66 from Lafayette, along with a 12V power supply from Radio Shack, as well as the Super Maxim Antenna & some coax. My Dad & I mounted the Super Maxim on the top of a 16' clothesline pole. The Micro 66 came w/xtals for channel 10, so we added the xtals for channel(s) 6, 11, 14, and I can't remember what else.

There's TWO things I'll never forget; 1 = THAT NEW RADIO SMELL, and 2 = how some of the neighborhood kids & I used to turn a set of the TX/RX crystals into the radio BACKWARDS, in order to get our own 'private' channel.

For Christmas I got a Turner +2 desk microphone and for my birthday I got a Shakespeare Big Stick, which my Dad & uncle mounted atop our roof.

I pooled my XMAS, B'day and paper route money & purchased my first 23 channel radio: the Realistic TRC-52; later, when CB went to 40 channels I got a TRC-422A and a TRC-424.

By age 14, (1975) I had obtained my ham license and was active on 40 & 15M CW with a Heathkit HW-16 & HG10B VFO, but most of my neighborhood friends had remained on CB radio, so I never did really leave the hobby to this day.(y)

A "GLOBE 100" three channel way back in the early 70's still have it , it was hooked up to a "Lafayet Electronics" antenna or one that I bought there don't remember the name of it but it worked real well . :pop:
http://www.retrocom.com/

Last edited:
My first CB was a radioshack handheld 40 channel which my parents got me at about age 10. The first radio I bought myself was a RCI 2985DX. My first modded CB was a Uniden Grant.

I got my first one, when i was about 15. It was an old Hammarlund 23 CH. Got it at an auction for $5.00. I must have logged hundreds, if not thousands of hours on that thing, never had a problem with it, wish i still had it!

My first cb back in the summer of 78 was a president AR7 (40 ch fcc AM), cracking little radio which i bought second hand with a dv27 and free biscuit tin ground plane for 30 pounds,about 45 dollars at the time.

was a great little entrance radio and at the time cb here was just starting to get very popular,this was 3 years prior to legalisation where fm radios became the norm,the only thing that limited it was the antenna and lack of ssb,by early 1980 i had bought a cobra 148 gtl dx mk2 and the whole world opened up to me.

The 148 gtl dx was at the time the radio to have in my city (ironically 3 decades later it still is the radio to have) ,by this time there was thousands of breakers running massive antennas and high power and you needed a radio with good adjacent channel rejection/selectivity as bleedover was a nightmare if you didn't have a good radio due to the very close proximity of a number of other stations both legal and illegal.

once i added a dipole,then starduster and avanti sigma 4 and then finally a mighty magnum 3 and a 3 element beam below it,which i worked with till i got busted in 83, even s.america couldn't avoid me,lol.

the world truly was my oyster.was the first time in my life i realised politics,religion,culture,nationality were all man made barriers that could easily be overcome by radio as it respected no human divides,the way it should be.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.