• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

YOUR Opinion On Free-Banding

Status
Not open for further replies.

T23

Apr 17, 2010
The title says it like it is.... But what is your opinion? This post manly applies to the 11 meter freeband but other bands can also be taken into consideration.

T23

Attachments

• ScarJo_popcorn.gif
    ScarJo_popcorn.gif
    2.1 MB · Views: 725
Quite frankly, I'd prefer if all Freebanders were licensed hams.

The reasons for Freebanding are manifold. Some Freebander's are simply ignorant of amateur radio. Some like the idea of "freedom" from authority. Some know about ham radio, but have a mistaken idea that it takes a graduate engineer to pass the test. And some are, indeed, licensed hams who enjoy a different experience. (This is partricularly true in Europe.)

My opinion? Since we aren't going to stop it soon... let 'em have their fun. (But, I'd much prefer if most of them got their ham tickets.)

Have I ever done any Freebanding? Not exactly. I don't work DX there. I do, however occasionally communicate with locals on a local ("upper") frequency. As for working DX there... never have and not interested. I can work all the DX I want on any of the ham bands (where the contacts actually count for something :rolleyes: ).

as long as the ENTIRE signal is not in any amateur band,..................
i jus don't care:w00t:

as long as the ENTIRE signal is not in any amateur band,..................
i jus don't care:w00t:

Yes!! I forgot to mention that. Freeband all you like but if you're not licensed, just stay the heck off of our bands. (This includes the 11M Freeband and the so-called "EC" bands adjacent to the 80M, 40M, 20M and recently, 15M and 12M bands.)

I'm not so self important that I feel the need to police the entire radio spectrum. As long as the freebanders don't interfere with others, I really don't care what they do.

The first amendment of the Constitution of the United States says:

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof."

It was written by Thomas Jefferson, who also wrote in his Inagural address:

Still one thing more, fellow-citizens -- a wise and frugal Government, which shall restrain men from injuring one another, shall leave them otherwise free to regulate their own pursuits of industry and improvement, and shall not take from the mouth of labor the bread it has earned. This is the sum of good government, and this is necessary to close the circle of our felicities.

Perhaps if the government cannot show that people are injuring each other, then it has no business restricting their activities.

The the ninth and tenth amendments of the Constitution also state:

Amendment 9 - Construction of Constitution. Ratified 12/15/1791.
The enumeration in the Constitution, of certain rights, shall not be construed to deny or disparage others retained by the people.

Amendment 10 - Powers of the States and People. Ratified 12/15/1791.
The powers not delegated to the United States by the Constitution, nor prohibited by it to the States, are reserved to the States respectively, or to the people.

Victimless crimes?

Do you care if people drive drunk, as long as they don't crash?

Perhaps the government is legislating morality...

But since their laws are not injuring me, should I care?

C2 your viewpoint contradicts itself.... But from what I get your arguing the point that you consider free-banding as bad a driving under the influence? And the constitution did not really have a take on radio because that wasn't discovered till 1899 or at-least a very good understanding of how it worked.

T23

The first amendment of the Constitution of the United States says:

It was written by Thomas Jefferson, who also wrote in his Inagural address:

Perhaps if the government cannot show that people are injuring each other, then it has no business restricting their activities.

The the ninth and tenth amendments of the Constitution also state:

Victimless crimes?

Do you care if people drive drunk, as long as they don't crash?

Perhaps the government is legislating morality...

But since their laws are not injuring me, should I care?

i learned a long time ago to pick my own fights,..... and not let them pick me, i still jus don't care:bdh:

Considering I don't think the FCC should even exist, I really don't give a damn what frequency people choose.

Yes!! I forgot to mention that. Freeband all you like but if you're not licensed, just stay the heck off of our bands. (This includes the 11M Freeband and the so-called "EC" bands adjacent to the 80M, 40M, 20M and recently, 15M and 12M bands.)

Recently??? There was "EC" Activity below 15M when I was active on "EC" over 20 years ago.

Status
Not open for further replies.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?