• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

your thoughts on the dac mark X ?

Dave239

Feb 15, 2016
Birlington, Ontario, Canada
So I went to look at a Moonraker 4 today, turns out the old guy was selling his whole station. I bought his mint condition DAC 10, and all his equipment. I don't anything about them but WOW what a nice looking radio. What should I know about this rig, I've never owned a radio with tubes in it before

I call it the "King of Disco". Good looks on the outside, but nothing to speak of inside.

DAK hired a Korean manufacturer to make an outright copy of a SSB CB circuit board used in radios made in Japan by Cybernet.

A poor copy. I don't know the vendor's name, but they were clearly learning how to build a CB. They never made enough of these to actually learn how.

The power supply regulator and the AM modulator were totally suicidal. Trick was, if the AM modulation was turned down to around 80 percent max it would survive the warranty period. But just as soon as it was turned up, POOF!

The tubes are simply grafted onto the solid-state radio pc board circuits, so to speak.

The double-sided pc board technology they used was fatally flawed, and caused chronic intermittent dropout problems.

And that's just scratching the surface. Just try to find a replacement channel selector when (not 'if') it wears out. Made from that rarest of elements unobtanium. And the channel digits? Same deal.

A nice shelf decoration, if you have a really large shelf with a really large empty spot on it.

In all fairness, we did work out fixes for most of the design/build issues it had back in the 1980s. But the cost of that much labor and parts was borderline-insane back then. What it would cost now will buy you a decent used ham HF transceiver that actually still works.

One last thought. DAK sold a fairly full line of mobile and base radios. They sold a AM-only Mark 9 base station, too. Just as pathetic and just as pretty, but no SSB.

When was the last time you saw or even heard of a DAK mobile? Far as I know they have mostly all gone to the local landfill by now. They simply sucked. Only that enormous cabinet and fancy front panel have saved their base-station models from the same fate.

What they said - plus you'll have no room left on your desk for anything else. :)

I will say they are a fantastic way to make money on ebay though if you can buy them super cheap at a garage sale. They always list for $$ and people always buy them cause they are shiny. As long as you get them to pay the shipping costs! :)

Reactions: Unit 194
I have a DAK9 here, or I have the case, removed the DAK/ Hygain radio and all associated parts, installed a cobra 29, works great but not worth the effort IMO

Reactions: Robb
One of my locals used to own one and it was constantly in the repair shop. He eventually sold the "all show and no go" Mark X on eBay for a lot of money.

Wow, this poor guy probably paid way too much for this "nice looking radio", and got crapped out after these responses. I actually feel kinda bad for him. I wonder if he will return?

we have 2 of the dak 9's...after removing all the after market crap people did to them and all the usual recapping and realignment they seem to work fine ..actually better than the ssb version does on am

the dak 10

..recapped and removed the crap extra channels etc mods ..works as any cybernet does (lol hahaha yeah well ahh lol hahaha )
i have had the led issue..ended up putting in a replacement one of a different type as nomand said unobtainable (well one place sells them...you sitting down for this?...275 bucks..yes 275 bucks for a dual digit 7 segment display NOS ..and no you cant just drop a cobra 29 digit in there..totally different pin layout to 99% of the radios out there in more ways than one ..similar to the arf2001 channel digits

the dak 10 could do with audio tailoring (like any cybernet)
"ok" if you leave them bone stock and dont expect rich full sounding audio or splatter rejection

typical crappy adjacent channel rejection and thin sounding audio
nice to have on shelf to "wow" people but as great a radio as the ones that claim their dak 9/ 10 are "plate modulated ":eek:

both could do with decent filters

would i buy one if offered new today and i had a few hundred burning a hole in my pocket just to "one up" the guy down the street..
no a pro510 would be better deal from a truckstop in the bargain bin

but they sure look sexy on the museum shelf's

I call it the "King of Disco". Good looks on the outside, but nothing to speak of inside.

DAK hired a Korean manufacturer to make an outright copy of a SSB CB circuit board used in radios made in Japan by Cybernet.

A poor copy. I don't know the vendor's name, but they were clearly learning how to build a CB. They never made enough of these to actually learn how.

The power supply regulator and the AM modulator were totally suicidal. Trick was, if the AM modulation was turned down to around 80 percent max it would survive the warranty period. But just as soon as it was turned up, POOF!

The tubes are simply grafted onto the solid-state radio pc board circuits, so to speak.

The double-sided pc board technology they used was fatally flawed, and caused chronic intermittent dropout problems.

And that's just scratching the surface. Just try to find a replacement channel selector when (not 'if') it wears out. Made from that rarest of elements unobtanium. And the channel digits? Same deal.

A nice shelf decoration, if you have a really large shelf with a really large empty spot on it.

In all fairness, we did work out fixes for most of the design/build issues it had back in the 1980s. But the cost of that much labor and parts was borderline-insane back then. What it would cost now will buy you a decent used ham HF transceiver that actually still works.

One last thought. DAK sold a fairly full line of mobile and base radios. They sold a AM-only Mark 9 base station, too. Just as pathetic and just as pretty, but no SSB.

When was the last time you saw or even heard of a DAK mobile? Far as I know they have mostly all gone to the local landfill by now. They simply sucked. Only that enormous cabinet and fancy front panel have saved their base-station models from the same fate.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.