• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Zero Five verticals

binrat

WDX Club Coordinator
Staff member
Nov 5, 2008
The Great White north
I'm thinking of one in the spring time. Anyone have first hand experience with them?? I'm not sure if its going to be the 43' one or the 33'. My planned setup is my KX-3 with an amp and a tuner in the shack with LMR-400 out to the backyard.

I have heard them on the air and depending on the radial system under the vertical they sound good but as with all verticals DX is where they shine.

I'm thinking of one in the spring time. Anyone have first hand experience with them?? I'm not sure if its going to be the 43' one or the 33'. My planned setup is my KX-3 with an amp and a tuner in the shack with LMR-400 out to the backyard.

Zero Five vertical antennas are good but they require a lot of space to be efficient. They've a low angle take off which mean that they're very good for long distance communication DX (like any other vertical antennas). The problem with long vertical antenna like the 43' or 33' Five Zero is they need a lot of radials around the base to perform well. At least 4 to 8 X 25' radials will be required at the base of the antenna. They also need to be above rooftop and/or above any large structures to prevent RF blockage.

If you want to be more portable you should start to look at something more simple to install and carry with you. Something that will offer you multiple installation options.
The CHA HYBRID Series is one of those antennas. They can be used with a collapsible vertical whip, mobile whip and all kind of wire antenna configurations.

http://chameleonantenna.com/resources/CHA-HYBRID-Operator-Manual-4.0.pdf

Carl

the 10&11 meter zero fives holy cow those are heavy! They look well built but the prices kill me for a vertical, not sure how the Ham antennas are but look nice

If you've got room for the 43' vertical and have the ability to install the necessary radials and remote tuner, you'll have a very capable all HF band DX antenna. The antenna itself is only about $200, but don't forget about the remote tuner cost.

Well you can go around a remote tuner is you're using a good UNUN at the base of the antenna. Now you'll have to chose an UNUN in function of the amount of power than you want to push in your antenna.

You can use a 4:1, 5:1 or 9:1 UNUN. You can build them yourself or buy it already built. The other factor that you'll need to take care of is the coax cable length. Try to keep it under 50' is you can and a maximum of 100'. RG-8X will work great for something under 100' but if you need longer then you'll need better coax cable quality like LMR-400.

Now if a 43' vertical Zero Five is too much and if you've the room for a 60' long wire then you could install a sloper antenna elevated at about 20' high and get a total coverage from 6M to 80M (maybe 160M depending of the antenna selection).

The good advantage of using a UNUN at the base of the antenna instead of a pricey remote tuner is that you can use the UNUN to build all kinds of antenna for base or either portable purposes. You'll be able to experiment all sorts of configurations with about 200' of 16 AWG wire to create dipoles, end-fed, skyloop, delta loop, sloper, OCF antenna and much more.

Carl

Reactions: wavrider
Zero Five vertical antennas are good but they require a lot of space to be efficient. They've a low angle take off which mean that they're very good for long distance communication DX (like any other vertical antennas). The problem with long vertical antenna like the 43' or 33' Five Zero is they need a lot of radials around the base to perform well. At least 4 to 8 X 25' radials will be required at the base of the antenna. They also need to be above rooftop and/or above any large structures to prevent RF blockage.

If you want to be more portable you should start to look at something more simple to install and carry with you. Something that will offer you multiple installation options.
The CHA HYBRID Series is one of those antennas. They can be used with a collapsible vertical whip, mobile whip and all kind of wire antenna configurations.

http://chameleonantenna.com/resources/CHA-HYBRID-Operator-Manual-4.0.pdf

Carl
Carl,
I have an Alpha antenna ProMaster senior for camping and a EzMilitary and a BuddiPole for portable. For now I'm happy with those.

If you've got room for the 43' vertical and have the ability to install the necessary radials and remote tuner, you'll have a very capable all HF band DX antenna. The antenna itself is only about $200, but don't forget about the remote tuner cost.
Mole.,
For south of the border maybe it is. North of the border you are looking at around $550 for antenna and unun.

Bin hang a 43 foot piece of wire vertical from a tree or stand off from your tower, If you can not get it vertical then a sloper will work also.

Get it high enough in the air so you can feed it with ladderline and have a few (16 or more) ground radials under it, use an antenna coupler in the shack and have fun.

You probably have everything laying around in the junk box to make that 43 foot vertical

Bin hang a 43 foot piece of wire vertical from a tree or stand off from your tower, If you can not get it vertical then a sloper will work also.

Get it high enough in the air so you can feed it with ladderline and have a few (16 or more) ground radials under it, use an antenna coupler in the shack and have fun.

You probably have everything laying around in the junk box to make that 43 foot vertical
Wav,
I would but the house is 3 years old and the closest large tree is abou 1/2 mile away. No tower as well. For the price I'm thinking of a homebrew 43'.

OK Bin understood.

Homebrew, I took 45 feet of rohn 25 tower and put about 15 foot of aluminum tubing out the top, laid some radials down and had a 75 meter vertical, lump a great signal into EU and West coast of USA.

May still be able to find some of the old military aluminum poles on ebay, they fit together nicely and are strong, I used them to play with a ground mounted vertical array on 40 meters.

Reactions: binrat

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.