• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.
  • Click here to find out how to win free radios from Retevis!

6666 40w max.

AndrewSpark

Jan 28, 2024
Am curious as to why my radio only pushes 40w pep as opposed to the advertised 60w.
Have tried various antennas with no luck. What could i adjust with my golden plastic screwdriver ???

How do you measure output in SSB, Average or peak hold?
I'm using for my station the Daiwa CN 801 HP with active PEP measurement.
Average which most cheaper power meters show is lower as actual PEP.

Reactions: Pez
I get a little over 55 watts peak SSB power from my 6666. That's on a Daiwa meter and if I whistle hard into the mic. Average is around 35 to 40 watts.

Reactions: snippits75
Am curious as to why my radio only pushes 40w pep as opposed to the advertised 60w.
Have tried various antennas with no luck. What could i adjust with my golden plastic screwdriver ???
What meter? That makes a huge difference.
Meter, avg or pep?
Both my q6 swing 60 plus after a little tuning and can do even more before they start to get dirty.

Reactions: snippits75 and Pez
Did these meters have real PEP measurement active?
DO re read the answers please, only an active PEP meter will read actual PEP power, rest of he meters only give lower average power.
As stated don't try to ge the last watt out of the radio, you will destroy P.A transistors, use good amplifier.
Going from 40 to 60 watts is jus 1.5 dB hardly noticable on the other end, minimal would be doubling power to 80 watts or 3 dB.

The difference between 40 and 60 watts on the receive end is an undetectable difference. You would need to go from 40 to 160 watts (6dB gain) to see a 1 S unit increase on receive. 40 to 60 watts is less than 1/2 S unit of increase.

On my Daiwa CN-901 true pep meter, my previously owned Quad 6 was doing 60 watts dead on the money on AM and SSB. My Quad 6 never did have the lid removed...factory stock.

Not doubting it's doing 40 watts...just saying it needs to be measured with a true pep meter. On a Dosy, I would not doubt it would show 40 peak watts. I have seen some Dosy meters that are very close to spot on, and some that are just way off.

If you don't have a 'scope you only have part of the picture.

Pun intended.

The shape of the modulation peaks is a big deal. They should be nice, sharp and pointy. The SSB limiter is meant to keep the drive level below the threshold where those peaks begin to flatten on the top. A RF wattmeter is subject to multiple compromises to its accuracy. Its accuracy on sideband can be limited by more than one factor.

Using a meter alone to set the limit in a sideband transmitter will work, so long as you're willing to be disappointed with the meter reading.

Peak meters were not so common 47 or 48 years ago, and interest in SSB above channel 23 (so-called "HF" operators) was getting large. I had a demo for the operators who thought an average wattmeter should show more on sideband. I would set the ALC for max wattage. The 'scope would show a horribly-flattened waveform, the monitor speaker would reveal distorted audio, and the Bird wattmeter would show 14 or more Watts. As I turned the ALC trimpot, there would be a threshold where the average wattmeter reading would take a nosedive, falling to half what it showed at full blast, the spiky audio-peak display would return on the 'scope screen and best of all, the raspy distortion in the monitor speaker would disappear.

Once they could see and hear what they were choosing, I left it up to the customer how he wanted it adjusted. Dern near all of them chose to sound better. It was a safe bet his wattmeter at home offered only an average reading, and this let me sidestep the annoyed call from a customer about "not enough wattage".

Sidebanders were a quirky bunch back in those days, and wouldn't talk to AM operators. Those days are long, long gone now.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ David K. Aldridge:
    Hi. I acquired a Galaxy Saturn Turbo that goes into xmit mode, xmit LED lights, but no output at all in any mode when monitoring on a radio right next to it. Nothing. It receives fine. Also, in the amp module on back, there are MRF454's in there. Those weren't factory, were they? Any clues? Thanks.