• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.
  • Click here to find out how to win free radios from Retevis!

A tale of two switches.

nomadradio

Analog Retentive
Apr 3, 2005
Louisville, KY
www.nomadradio.com
Here's a problem with miniature toggle switches I had to discover the hard way.

They're made two different ways. The outer two terminal lugs sticking out the rear of the switch each have the contact point on the other end inside the switch housing. The center lug connects to the "seesaw" common pole.

The method of securing these pieces to the switch's plastic body gets done one of two ways.

1) A glob of goo, maybe white or some other color secures it in place until it gets too hot for too long. Then it skews and the mechanism inside is never the same.

2) The soft metal lug protrudes out the rear of the switch, and blade cuts into each side of the lug, forcing it outwards against the inside of the hole in the plastic. This is a "staked" contact and won't come loose until you get it REALLY hot. And if you have a reasonably light touch, it won't ever be a problem.

fgnEOZ.jpg

The glue assembly process appears to be cheaper to produce than the staked process.

I have plenty of soldering experience, and sometimes I keep the iron against the lug a tiny bit too long, and it shifts sideways.

When that happens it's time for another switch.

Makes the staked version cheaper in the long run. I learned to only buy these switches on fleabay if I can see a clear picture of the rear side of the switch. Had my fill of glued contacts.

This type part is gets used for a lot of mods. The staked-contact version will save a lot of aggravation compared to the glue/schmoo version.

Last edited:

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.