• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.
  • Click here to find out how to win free radios from Retevis!

Alpha Delta Transi-Trap Surge Protector

Naysayer

Solder Balls
Mar 6, 2020
New York
I’ve nearing the end of my antenna make over. They are working really good and my last step is connecting an Earth Ground. I’m trying to follow modern theory of keeping the Earth Ground outside so I’m installing an Alpha Delta Surge Protector (TT3G50-HP, 1-500MHz) where the coax enters the building which is also the lowest point of the feedline/coax.

I do not fully understand the gas filled cartridges. I see that extra cartridges are only sold together with a new screw-on cap which suggests the cap is part & parcel to whatever specs apply to the cartridge being sold. For example, the 200w vs 2kw or a cartridge designed for VHF vs below 500MHz. Spark-gap spacing?

So my question is: Does each cartridge have it's own screw-on cap or are all the caps the same? I’ve read owners reporting that the Surge Protector body is the same for all models despite the labeling. I’m only interested in HF so I got the one for 1-500MHz. Can this device drain static charge too? And what to make of the voltage ratings of the different cartridges? There is a large range of voltages available. Then again, why would the cartridge itself have any bearing on the max PO rating if the two feedline connectors are directly connected together? Is this product a gimmick or have I overlooked or mistaken something?

neil, nyc

Reactions: Eldorado828

I’ve nearing the end of my antenna make over. They are working really good and my last step is connecting an Earth Ground. I’m trying to follow modern theory of keeping the Earth Ground outside so I’m installing an Alpha Delta Surge Protector (TT3G50-HP, 1-500MHz) where the coax enters the building which is also the lowest point of the feedline/coax.

I do not fully understand the gas filled cartridges. I see that extra cartridges are only sold together with a new screw-on cap which suggests the cap is part & parcel to whatever specs apply to the cartridge being sold. For example, the 200w vs 2kw or a cartridge designed for VHF vs below 500MHz. Spark-gap spacing?

So my question is: Does each cartridge have it's own screw-on cap or are all the caps the same? I’ve read owners reporting that the Surge Protector body is the same for all models despite the labeling. I’m only interested in HF so I got the one for 1-500MHz. Can this device drain static charge too? And what to make of the voltage ratings of the different cartridges? There is a large range of voltages available. Then again, why would the cartridge itself have any bearing on the max PO rating if the two feedline connectors are directly connected together? Is this product a gimmick or have I overlooked or mistaken something?

neil, nyc
I'm ready to see what the experts say because I also looked at the alpha delta surge protectors. Once I got all jumbled up with all the variations I just put that thought to rest..... Until now.

I'll be watching this thread for the 101.

Reactions: Naysayer
The same little white ceramic component seen there is found on the open market with wire leads. The low-pressure gas inside is an insulator until a threshold voltage is reached and the gas ionizes. Then it becomes a low resistance. They're used in telephone equipment, industrial stuff that can be exposed to surges and such. Alpha Delta's contribution is to package it with the brass cup as seen in the links above. The ceramic part is sold with different breakdown-voltage ratings. The difference between A-D's RF-power ratings boil down the voltage rating of the capsule.

Tom Rauch recommends a wire-lead version of this part as a retrofit in the Ameritron AL-811/572 amplifier to limit damage when a tube arcs over.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.