• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.
  • Click here to find out how to win free radios from Retevis!

Antenna help

C

Crazylegs74

I'm getting a Cobra 29 installed in my '84 Silverado, and I would like to mount the antenna to the front corner of the box. Is this OK, or will the proximity to the cab cause a lot of interference?

I am limited to antenna no more than three feet long, and even then I will have to get fold-down type brackets. Would it be better to run a single or double antenna?

I was thinking of going with double. But then I found out that they're supposed to be 9 feet apart, and the distance across my bed is only 6 feet. How big of a problem is this? Would it be better to only use one?

Any help you can give me would be greatly appreciated.

Crazylegs74

If you're going to install a lay-down mount, then you might consider getting a taller antenna if you're going to lay it down anyway when you're parking. If you're going to mount it by the cab, move it back a little to minimize the problems you could had with reflection. Personally, I would not run cophased antennas for a basic setup. You won't get any additional gain with the configuration you're looking at, only a lot of headaches.

I don't know how much help that is, but let us know whatever other questions you might have.

Thanks for the advice! At the CB shop, they told me that a lot of pickups with duals, one of them is a dummy.. not even hooked up. :shock:

I went with a single 4 footer, mounted on the drivers side
corner of the bed. My truck sits kinda high, so it should work..

It's getting installed right now. So hopefully in a day or two, I can tell you how good it works. Or else I'll be asking why it doesn't! :?

Crazylegs74

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.