• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.
  • Click here to find out how to win free radios from Retevis!

Anybody know anything about X Band?

Moleculo

Ham Radio Nerd
Apr 14, 2002
OK, so this is the VHF/UHF section and X band is WAAAAAAY above those bands, but I couldn't think of any other section to post in :tongue:

I recently got a demonstration of the 10Ghz (X) band, which was really cool! Has anyone else here researched this or tried it? It seems to be fairly popular in Europe, but not as much in other countries. Everything is done with small dishes for antennas and with the surplus of older DirecTV and DISH Network dishes, it seems like this band is well in the reach of most operators.

Has anyone else here played with X band?

Watched a video of a guy in California messing around with it. I bought a power supply off of him. Can't remember his call, but he is a major airline pilot. Maybe someone will know him.

Pretty interesting stuff, I believe a few guys in Columbus, Ohio dabble in it. If I remember correctly, a guy who has a mobile command post type vehicle is into it. He always comes to the Shriners Hamfest which is 2 weeks away, I'll take pic's and video of it, if it's in his truck.

Can't get anybody to work 6m, 2m, 1-1/2 or 70 cm let alone 10 Gig.
Only time 10 gig is used is at contest time on a general basis from high locations.
It takes specilized investment and most of us won't make it unless there is some local area interest.
One would be better of with cheaper Lazer setups and talking on light beams.
At least we can go to the store and get red Lazers for less than $10 and set them up so they can be modulated with audio and detected with sensors from Radio Shack. And this is a lot higher than 10 gig.

Can't get anybody to work 6m, 2m, 1-1/2 or 70 cm let alone 10 Gig.
Only time 10 gig is used is at contest time on a general basis from high locations.
It takes specilized investment and most of us won't make it unless there is some local area interest.
One would be better of with cheaper Lazer setups and talking on light beams.
At least we can go to the store and get red Lazers for less than $10 and set them up so they can be modulated with audio and detected with sensors from Radio Shack. And this is a lot higher than 10 gig.

Yeah about 470 THz for red lasers. :blink:

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.