• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.
  • Click here to find out how to win free radios from Retevis!

Anytone AT5555. Some days the bear gets you.

nomadradio

Analog Retentive
Apr 3, 2005
Louisville, KY
www.nomadradio.com
Some days you get the bear, some days the bear gets you.

The Anytone 5555 radios (yes, there are more than one if you look at the inside) are built with the latest, greatest technology. Can't complain about performance until it breaks. The grain-of-sand size resistors look intimidating.

y3TXbs.jpg

This one is comatose. The lights are on but nobody's home.

Meaning that the display and function buttons all appear to work normally, but there is no trace of this on the main pc board. No transmit, no receive.

No schematic, so not much info to base a diagnosis. Touching the "Manual Digital Analog Signal Injector" (finger laid alongside the shaft of a screwdriver) to the AM ceramic IF filter, and to the crystal SSB filter produces noise on the output sides of each. No audio from the receiver beyond that.

Can't find any trace of a local-oscillator signal. Likewise, sniffing for the IF-frequency carrier at 10.695,6925 and 6975 produces no trace of that signal being generated for SSB receive.

The front panel lights are on. And that's all.

No idea where to probe, or just what's under the metal shields. They are all soldered in place.

Here's the pc board number for this revision of the radio. If someone breaks into the right file cabinet in China and makes off with the tech data, please share.

du8n9b.jpg

Gonna give it back to the customer with my regrets, still broken.

Some days the bear gets you.

The Anytone 5555 radios (yes, there are more than one if you look at the inside) are built with the latest, greatest technology. Can't complain about performance until it breaks. The grain-of-sand size resistors look intimidating.

y3TXbs.jpg

Meaning that the display and function buttons all appear to work normally, but there is no trace of this on the main pc board. No transmit, no receive.

No schematic, so not much info to base a diagnosis. Touching the "Manual Digital Analog Signal Injector" (finger laid alongside the shaft of a screwdriver) to the AM ceramic IF filter, and to the crystal SSB filter produces noise on the output sides of each. No audio from the receiver beyond that.

Can't find any trace of a local-oscillator signal. Likewise, sniffing for the IF-frequency carrier at 10.695,6925 and 6975 produces no trace of that signal being generated for SSB receive.

No idea where to probe, or just what's under the metal shields. They are all soldered in place.

Here's the pc board number for this revision of the radio. If someone breaks into the right file cabinet in China and makes off with the tech data, please share.

du8n9b.jpg

chineisum technology sealed up.
sometimes your the bug
sometimes your the windshield

Reactions: Keto
Probably your best chance is see if you can find a Stryker dealer and see if they have a schematic for the 955 HPC v2 which is very similar to the AT-5555 nII.

Reactions: Rwb

y3TXbs.jpg

du8n9b.jpg

That's a sad deal and hopefully it's an isolated case of that failure. That board is really young. It and it's variants were only introduced the summer of 2022 and I'd hate to see that becoming an issue because so many of us have them.

Probably your best chance is see if you can find a Stryker dealer and see if they have a schematic for the 955 HPC v2 which is very similar to the AT-5555 nII.
That's a completely different radio. OP is looking for info on the AT5555, NOT the 5555Nii.

Potentially VCO IC failure, or something around that area. If it was alive, you could easily sniff the oscillators (eg, 10.625, and also VFO Freq + 10.625) with a SA. I have not seen this failure on these before. Any chance it was zapped in a storm?

3c613490-fef0-4e3a-ab7f-7b3b9d6565f6_text.gif

Reactions: Rwb and Eldorado828
it's an n2.
Yeah, wasn't quite specific enough. When these SMT radios get revised, it's as if the revision came from some totally different vendor. Almost no resemblance to a prior revision of the same model.

Thanks for the schematics, but without a parts-placement diagram the usefulness is limited. Not many callout markings on the board's screen print. Besides, I'm guessing the culprit is underneath one of those soldered-down metal shields.

Not gonna take any of those loose without a pic of what's under them.

Reactions: Eldorado828 and Rwb
Yeah, wasn't quite specific enough. When these SMT radios get revised, it's as if the revision came from some totally different vendor. Almost no resemblance to a prior revision of the same model.

Thanks for the schematics, but without a parts-placement diagram the usefulness is limited. Not many callout markings on the board's screen print. Besides, I'm guessing the culprit is underneath one of those soldered-down metal shields.

Not gonna take any of those loose without a pic of what's under them.

Those shield covers are easy to lift off.

Reactions: Cable Guy
And without a road map to what's under them, what's the point? A schematic used to convey more meaning, when the component callout was screen-printed on the pc board, or at least a placement diagram could be had.

Without some sort of parts-placement info the schematic has limited usefulness.

Reactions: Rwb and buickid
And without a road map to what's under them, what's the point? A schematic used to convey more meaning, when the component callout was screen-printed on the pc board, or at least a placement diagram could be had.

Without some sort of parts-placement info the schematic has limited usefulness.

If the VCO is dead, replace it. Take your chances, rather than shitcan a nice radio.

That's a sad deal and hopefully it's an isolated case of that failure. That board is really young. It and it's variants were only introduced the summer of 2022 and I'd hate to see that becoming an issue because so many of us have them.
I have one. It’s a version six and I think that has to be more than 10 years old and it still works really good. Good luck. I hope you find the issue.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.