• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.
  • Click here to find out how to win free radios from Retevis!

Apollo Amplifier transformer replacement.

Jimbo165

Jun 1, 2012
Southeastern Michigan
I have a Apollo 500 and the transformer is bad it is a 1300v can I replace it with 2 transformers out of a D&A Phantom they are around 850v i believe. Here is one from Apollo.
1727491928275.jpeg

I have a Apollo 500 and the transformer is bad it is a 1300v can I replace it with 2 transformers out of a D&A Phantom they are around 850v i believe. Here is one from Apollo.View attachment 70247
It appears that transformer has been operated above its maximum altitude of 12,000 feet... I'm assuming this amplifier runs sweep tubes and 900 to 1,000 volts AC before rectification and filtering, seems very high for sweep tubes. As I recall the D&A transformers are 660 volts AC. They work great with a full wave bridge rectifier on sweep tubes.

Running 125 VAC on 170 VAC primary windings would drop B+ down to something closer to "Normal" :-0 (still 1000+VAC) ...I am thinking this is some surplus Xformer they grabbed for price and made it work. D&A did the same...never knew until the covers were off to really know what you had. (and sometimes not even then!) :ROFLMAO:

I have a Apollo 500 and the transformer is bad it is a 1300v can I replace it with 2 transformers out of a D&A Phantom they are around 850v i believe. Here is one from Apollo.View attachment 70247
To answer your question: The change of a different transformer, will most likely require additional work, unless it is a direct replacement. (which the D&A's will not be) rectifier config/Cap configuration...possibly many more components and circuitry will need to be examined. IMHO

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.