• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.
  • Click here to find out how to win free radios from Retevis!

AT-5555N2 short version

Thanks magnuman. I have been wondering if changing my 5555n2 to a short version (or QT60 pro) is worth it. The dimmer would be nice that the n2 doesnt have but not seeing much else as a substantial upgrade from my current n2. I personally prefer the larger form factor of the 5555n2 / Qt60 over the 6666/6666 pro so i guess ill wait until they put the 6666 pro / Qt80 into the larger 5555n2 design case. I wonder what they will call it if they ever make it...5555n2 Pro ?? :)

Yes seems so. I am not a big fan of the 6666/6666 pro size or control layout. So much prefer the 5555n/n2 size and layout and no doubt others probably feel the same :) happy Friday!

A summary of the changes between the original and the latest "short case" version:

- No more VFO RX muting
- CTCSS TONE readout (Hz) and CTCSS scanning.
- WX RX, with VHF RX VFO from 136-174MHz FM.
- Channel overwrite issues of the old radios, fixed
- LCD dimmer control
- VOX improvements (VOX.SPK and VOL.PATH) - support for digi modes via the mic socket, same as the 6666PRO can.
- CW mode
- FM Dev 2K/4K
- SSB TX Bandwidth 3K/4K
- AGC Fast/Slow
- 99 memory channels (up from 6)

Depending on how you operate, some of these are huge improvements over the original radio.

Thanks Pez. That is the info / differences between the two models that really isnt out there. Ive looked :) i am just not a fan of the 6666 pro or 6666 layout so looking at whats available better then my n2 which i really like. The updates on the newer short case model to me are really great. At about $400 canadian delivered ill need to part with my n2 first lol. Enjoy the weekend.
Jeff

Last edited:
Reactions: Eldorado828 and Pez
Can you post up the measurements on the case size? Width, depth, and height? I was hoping some of the new short case models might be truly short like the McKinely but alas they are still pretty long. Wish they'd figure out how to make export radios not so deep for mounting in modern cars.

It looks like it would be a close fit for a tall 50 ammo can. I am going to save up my pennies and try one. Going to replace the 6666 because the noise reduction on my other radios has spoiled me.
They are both very close. But the AT-5555Nii short case will end up slightly shorter than the AT-6666 PRO, as the mic plug and SO-239 will protrude out a bit further on the PRO. (Note: The heatsinks are lined up to a straight edge in these pics, and BNC adaptors are fitted.

111.png222.png333.png

They are both very close. But the AT-5555Nii short case will end up slightly shorter than the AT-6666 PRO, as the mic plug and SO-239 will protrude out a bit further on the PRO. (Note: The heatsinks are lined up to a straight edge in these pics, and BNC adaptors are fitted.

View attachment 70045View attachment 70046View attachment 70047
Thanks for the pictures, looks like the short N2 will be a perfect fit. The mic plug is not an issue as I unplug it to close the lid. The N2 has some really long knobs on it but the chassis is shorter so it should still work. I will be sure to post pictures when I eventually get it done.

Reactions: Pez and jrd426

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.