• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.
  • Click here to find out how to win free radios from Retevis!

Average distance for a Bone Stock 11 Meter SSB radio.

whiteastro

Feb 22, 2019
Was wondering what kind of range ( Distance ) could a person expect to get out of a 12 watt SSB radio compared to a 4 watt AM radio. Of coarse line of sight makes a difference as we all know but most of us don't have that luxury so I'm thinking average conditions. What's been your experience and opinion?

Was wondering what kind of range ( Distance ) could a person expect to get out of a 12 watt SSB radio compared to a 4 watt AM radio. Of coarse line of sight makes a difference as we all know but most of us don't have that luxury so I'm thinking average conditions. What's been your experience and opinion?
Two answers: 1). Talking DX, I've talking around the U.S., Canada, Ireland, and Europe with 12PEP using sideband. 2). Locally, I've talked 15 miles (+ or -) mobile-to-mobile on SSB, but where I live in Texas, the closest I get to a hilly region or mountains is a freeway overpass , so your mileage will vary on where you live.

Last month I had a most interesting QSO relay while just getting one the freeway. A station on the East coast was talking to a local that I have problems hearing with my indoor mag loop. I broke in on their QSO and talked to Jim in Needville via the other station on the East coast. It lasted about 5-10 minutes, when I ran into some heavy metal (traffic) and signed off with the DX station, who relayed my sign off to Jim. Pretty cool (I thought).

Last edited:
Two answers: 1). Talking DX, I've talking around the U.S., Canada, Ireland, and Europe with 12PEP using sideband. 2). Locally, I've talked 15 miles (+ or -) mobile-to-mobile on SSB, but where I live in Texas, the closest I get to a hilly region or mountains is a freeway overpass , so your mileage will vary on where you live.
Thanks for the come back ! That's more like some answers I was looking for because I have a buddy down the road about 7 miles I'd like to talk back into radio again and think we could connect on on Side Band but have my doubts about AM because of this hilly area. We can't all afford big high priced Ham radios and equipment and that is why 11 meter was created. A solution for the poor-boys wallet. Thanks Again & happy Dxing ! Mike

Reactions: Enterprise312ok
You would easily do 7 miles on SSB with good antennas. Back in the day a bunch of us locals on SSB talked 30+ miles away (using base antennas) that would of been impossible on AM. That was mixed terrain, few big hills plus flat open areas. I've always thought SSB had more range then AM.
For a base station Flat land about 20 miles. Skip can occur but you need at least 100 watts for many contacts.

Last edited:
You would easily do 7 miles on SSB with good antennas. Back in the day a bunch of us locals on SSB talked 30+ miles away (using base antennas) that would of been impossible on AM. That was mixed terrain, few big hills plus flat open areas. I've always thought SSB had more range then AM.
Trouble with him is getting him into putting in the effort to installing a good base antenna. i gave him a Star Duster, coax, and My Uniden 980 once to get him started and he dicked around with other things and had too many projects to get it installed proper and I would have helped him. Then he was diagnosed with his cancer coming back so I took it back so his kids didn't end up selling it. Most I could hope to do with him is a mobile antenna so that is what makes SSB questionable at 7 miles. You reap what you sow !

I agree 7 miles. Testing a stock radio after leaving Bob's CB on I-80 headed toward Clarion, PA straight out Interstate. Radio can do 7 miles to his Base antennas.
I've done Bob's CB Shop before but the back way in. I don't do Interstate 80 or 81 in my old age because they bring out the Road Rage in me. People are crazy on the Interstates. I did them when I was Young & Crazy even on my motorcycle but not anymore ! I'm like John Denver ( Country Road Take Me Home ) LOL

Reactions: secret squirrel
Fair enough. If you wanted to do that distance a 9 foot whip mobile would work his end but I would just build a half wave dipole for a couple of bucks for him and string it vertically if you are already running a vertical polarized antenna.

Fair enough. If you wanted to do that distance a 9 foot whip mobile would work his end but I would just build a half wave dipole for a couple of bucks for him and string it vertically if you are already running a vertical polarized antenna.
You brought out some good points there with the whip or the dipole. But now I have to Push a Mule. Wonder if I'm up to it ! LOL

Reactions: secret squirrel
With a magnetic mount on my car, I'm able to talk 20 miles to my base and have been able to go as far as 30. There is a station 25 miles away that I can talk to base to base with no problems.
That's about what I get with my mobile mag mount and barefoot 979. 18 miles to a base antenna is about 3 s-units in SSB both ways, only 1 s-unit worse than my base talking to the same person on a sirio827 20' higher. This is hilly wooded terrain too. Mobile setups have potential if done right. I have neglected that antenna, its under a kayak. Latest vehicle makes way too much EMI and I'm too lazy to trace it.

Reactions: whiteastro

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    those boys in Louisiana going to be hard to live with...working those HI stations...my buddy Greg KK5SW/4 elements @35ft/350 watts...2 HI contacts today!!!! Arnold KE5JXC snagged one also!!!
    +1
  • @ Mark Malcomb:
    Hello BJ. Been a long time since I've been on. You doing well? Mark Malcomb
  • @ Naysayer:
    I’m