• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.
  • Click here to find out how to win free radios from Retevis!

Best Newer AM CB- Cobra 29

Amperex

Sep 23, 2024
I have tested various mobile AM CB radios and believe the Cobra 29 is as good as it gets. $89 new I find less than 10 year old used Cobra 29 for $35 on eBay. I owned a Uniden PC66 and the transmit and receive audio did not match the ultra clear Cobra 29 audio. Using the RF gain the Cobra 29 has a quiet receiver. An amplified mic is not needed with the mic gain providing more than enough transmit audio volume. I like the analog S meter too vs LED bar type. If buying used, buy the front panel mic connector model of year 2010 or newer. These radios have date of manufacture on the rear panel. Stay away from side panel mic connector type as these radios can be 35 years old. IMO you cannot go wrong with a Cobra 29.

One of the locals I talk to (coffeeman 506) has one of the newer cobra 29's (the one with FM), and on AM, other than a very tiny amount of keying noise, it sounds as good as his 148GTL. He is 18 miles from here and comes in crystal clear. Great audio on that little radio. FM works fairly well too.

Reactions: Eldorado828
The Cobra 29s days are numbered. It is sorely lacking many features that now come standard in other radios that are at its price point. The biggest feature is the noise reduction feature which is a digital DSP processor that cuts the static out. Talk back, echo, roger beep and the ability to get expanded channels with a simple jumper move on the main board put the Radiodity CB-900 Pro out front. We have been eagerly watching to see if Cobra, Uniden and RCI / Galaxy will step up to the plate, but all we hear are crickets. If you like the Cobra 29, get a few of them. The only thing Anytone and Radiodity lack is main stream retail distribution.

https://www.worldwidedx.com/threads/anytone-at-900-pro.268568/

Reactions: Eldorado828
The Cobra 29s days are numbered. It is sorely lacking many features that now come standard in other radios that are at its price point. The biggest feature is the noise reduction feature which is a digital DSP processor that cuts the static out. Talk back, echo, roger beep and the ability to get expanded channels with a simple jumper move on the main board put the Radiodity CB-900 Pro out front. We have been eagerly watching to see if Cobra, Uniden and RCI / Galaxy will step up to the plate, but all we hear are crickets. If you like the Cobra 29, get a few of them. The only thing Anytone and Radiodity lack is main stream retail distribution.

https://www.worldwidedx.com/threads/anytone-at-900-pro.268568/
I use West Mountain DNR on Cobra 29. Rest of items such as talk back, echo, etc are junk to me. I bought Anytone and it did not work.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.