• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.
  • Click here to find out how to win free radios from Retevis!

Cobra 148 nw st sound tracker no RX audio

26TAZZ

Jul 5, 2012
Hi there 73s to all of you guys
I have a 148 nw st radio that wont receive any signal on any modes no green light for RX
But this is where gets so weird radio Transmit on al modes AM-SSB on all channels 4 pin mic from factory PA jack has audio very good audio so is not a audio chip problem no extra channel mods I already check for D21,22 D1,2
TR14,15,16,17,18 and all check good
I'm trying put in a tone but won't even pick any of it any help or tips will be appreciated

Just a guess, but if your MB3756 voltage regulator chip has gone bad and is no longer putting out 8 volts on pin 6 in RX it might act like this. I know it was IC4 in some versions of the 148, not sure if it's the same in the Nightwatch radios.

Hopefully one of the smarter site members will weigh in with a more educated opinion soon.

Reactions: brandon7861
Just a guess, but if your MB3756 voltage regulator chip has gone bad and is no longer putting out 8 volts on pin 6 in RX it might act like this. I know it was IC4 in some versions of the 148, not sure if it's the same in the Nightwatch radios.

Hopefully one of the smarter site members will weigh in with a more educated opinion soon.
That radio does not use a MB3756 voltage regulator chip, it's all done with transistors.

You need to test for Receive voltage 8 volts (or so) at the collector of TR44. The Emitter should be a constant 8 to 9 volts. Tr40 is the transmit transistor which apparently is working.

That radio does not use a MB3756 voltage regulator chip, it's all done with transistors.

You need to test for Receive voltage 8 volts (or so) at the collector of TR44. The Emitter should be a constant 8 to 9 volts. Tr40 is the transmit transistor which apparently is working.

Thanks for the correction, Doc!

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    those boys in Louisiana going to be hard to live with...working those HI stations...my buddy Greg KK5SW/4 elements @35ft/350 watts...2 HI contacts today!!!! Arnold KE5JXC snagged one also!!!
    +1
  • @ Mark Malcomb:
    Hello BJ. Been a long time since I've been on. You doing well? Mark Malcomb
  • @ Naysayer:
    I’m